+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to fly fishing - where to go?

Default New to fly fishing - where to go?

I got a fly rod for my anniversary and am ready to try it out. The problem is I am not really sure where to go. I live in southwestern Michigan, and work near a few lakes good for bass, pike bluegills, etc. Any suggestions on flies, tips, depths, whats easy to catch?

This time of year you just need to go. Pick out a few size 10 nymphs and go fishing. Dark or dun. JGW

Go to the features section and read all of the articles in the "Warm Water" and "Panfish" sections. They are informative and educational.

Size #10 Hares Ear Nymph
    Actually try diffent color #10 nymphs. I like bead head nymphs in green, brown and white.

thanks for the tips, I picked up a selection of flies at the local store and will try them out tomorrow before and after work

oppenhue;
    Let me first welcome you aboard the best fly fishing site on the net! Drop in on the Chat Room some evening.
    I'm not that too far away from you in West Central MI.
    There are some great members down in your area so you should get plenty of help. My last Gill fishing trip (Tuesday)found them about 8' deep.

8 feet deep...see that's why I am glad I found this site. I didn't even know you could fly fish 8 feet deep. I didn't really grow up around this sort of stuff, so I am learning every day. I work near Gun Lake anyway, so I was thinking of trying to get some bass from offshore or shallow waters with waders.

oppenhue;
    You have email.
    By the way what rod did you get?

work close to the shore first, casting some distance in both directions along the shore. Then work your way farther out. You will learn as you fish and fish as you learn.
    Paul

oppenhuue, welcome to the congregation. I would like to offer a word of advice to you. Get out while you still can .If you get too addicted and she doesn't understand, you're doomed. Otherwise,if you don't have trout water readily available, start searching small ponds as they are confidence builders.Bluegills and bass are enough to get anyone intrigued.If you do have trout in your area, late summer/early fall make great time for practice with fish willing to take an array of dry(surface)flies.You can probably get away with hoppers if there are any 'brushy' areas near water.Here in Ks we are experiencing an Indian Summer and trout season is less than two weeks away. I expect to do well with hoppers and larger dries. I hope I have been helpfull in my babbling. screaming drags to all!
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

Well, I tried to do some fishing today, it didn't go so well. Unfortunately, I don't have any waders yet so I was trying to go from shore. I was fishing at the Millenium Park in Grand Rapids. I saw lots of flies being taken from the surface....but not mine. So I found a bank along the Grand River, but didn't have very good luck there either, though I did see a few fish hitting surface flies too. I think it would be too deep to wade their anyway, probably better suited for spinner baits, but oh well. Needless to say, my casting was horrible, I slapped myself in the wrist many times, loops were not good, but I was making progress. Oh well, if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

+ Reply to Thread