+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Back Sliding Baitcaster! (With repentance!)

Default Confessions of a Back Sliding Baitcaster! (With repentance!)

Confessions of a Back Sliding Baitcaster! (With repentance!)

Well, today a buddy wanted to fish Twin Butts near (in) San Angelo. Wanted to use our Yaks. He has a 9? Pelican and I have the 13 OK Prowler. I was not a member here when I got my yak. Early in May I was gonna take it out for the first time. In attempting a car top load, it slipped, jack knifed and whacked me so hard I thought I had broken a leg. Went ahead and went in Big Time pain and had HUGE contusion that took 8 weeks to fully heal. Needless I was not to thrilled with the yak and had not had it out since. However, since there would be two of us decided to try again.

The devil then entered into my life (again) and I fell into sin. I rigged two, not one, but two, Please forgive for saying this (sheepishly and very quietly spoken) bait casters! The shame I felt was palpable. Just prior to leaving, I did throw in the trusty and by now ubiquitous pearow three weight. Headed out to Twin Butts and almost certain physical pain and the hidden shame of having ratted out fly fishers everywhere!

Lots ?o little bass hitting the despised baits like, ?Yellow Magic?, ?Jitterbug?, ?Watermelon Candy Trick Worm?, those words that burn in your soul as past remembrances of forbidden but tasty fruit. O the shame, O the fun of it all. Nevertheless, quickly I repented and did penance. Paddled back to shore and made a blazing pyre out of the stuff of sin and degradation. Out damned spot! My heart belongs to fly fishing now, I will not stray, as for me and my house, we?ll catch our supper on itty bitty pieces of hair and foam.

I had found the fun in yakking, now to try it with the beloved fly rod. Pearow in hand, I swiftly, throwing a roster tail don?t ya know, paddled back to the killing fields. Proceed to cast a chartreuse JB flys popper and Look Out! Slam, bam Thank You, Ma?am. Yee Haw, cast to the stick-ups, pop it once and hold on. Yes sir, I am back, the heavy burden of blackened cast iron has fallen from me, the eyes darkened by lusting after gleaming winches on graphite legs has left me, my soul is free to make small loops and long wispy casts. To strip line with the best of ?em. The prodigal is home, slew the fatted bass!

I never felt guilty haveing my 50 or so baitcasters and another 40 to 50 spinning rods until now. I am so ashamed. I will fly my fly rods at half mast as I put away all of my other fishing gear.

Oh! The absolute shame I am feeling.

Your article had me laughing. Keep up the writing.
    Steve

Good stuff Mark, had you considered our Lighterside?
    Please?

Mark,

Although I myself have not used equip other than fly in a long time...with exception to the kids...which I have decided that they too will either flyfish...or..well they will not fish.....yeah, yeah leme have it...........

All forms of fishing equipment have their place and time....and there is really no reason for you or anyone to feel a lick of shame in employing them......All I have to say on the subject....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

"...the horror, the horror..."

Unless your a purist, fishing is fishing? I'm not above going back to my spinning rigs if I'm not happy with my casting or if I need to get down to the bottom.
    Racine

Blog Entries

Mark has got hisself connected up with bad company down here in Texas

Robin

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Back-sliding?

I guess I'm guilty as well. I do all kinds of fishing. It just depends on what mood I'm in, where I am, who I'm with, etc...

I even run trot-lines for catfish at times.

My situation may be a bit different than some. I fish for sport at times, but others are to put meat in the freezer. I forage the wilderness as much as possible for food, ingredeints for medicines, herbs, fruit, veggies, etc...(I am a practicing Traditional Naturopath). I limit my consumption of processed foods and supplies to a minimum. We even grind our own wheat for flour to make bread and other things. The Mrs. and I decided some time ago that this is how we wanted to live, so we now live on a mountain far into the wilderness.

I think there is room for all types of fishing, and one is not necesarily any more noble than another. My personal preference is for fly-fishing, but there is nothing wrong with drowning a worm if the mood hits you.

Semper Fi!

Blog Entries

Mark

What sort of plastics are you fishing on those micro-jigs?

Robin

Pardon me but!I find great satisfaction with fish on the fly Humsoever.I find alot of satisfaction in knowing that the fixed income travels much farther afield,in pursuit of gill on the fly,When I have about 150 lbs of channel and blue cat fillets in the freezer.
    So Gig ya ain't alone as I hold my head proudly and proclaim I use a trot line to!and a bait casting reel or a spinning reel.But when thew trot line is out and the dawn has broke or evening is falling you might just see me runnin that trot line with my flyrod proped up in the canoe.
    Dennis

nighthawk Guest

Well, I have yet to totally give up the spinning gear and probably never will. If for no other reason, the bait chuck rod reminds me why I fell in love with the delicate beauty and majesty of the fly rod.

+ Reply to Thread