+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many flys do you own?

Wow. My guess would be around 4 or five thousand. Tried counting them once but it took too long. I tied all of them except for around two dozen. Some folks relax at night in different ways - tying is mine. I probably carry half that number on stream. I'd have a lot more, but my fishing buddies know what is in my fly boxes.

I don't know how many I own. But, I usually carry about a 1,000 on stream.

Default How many flies?

I dunno, but one box holds between 5-600, and I carry 3 of them, not always full, but never empty. And that's just what I carry with me. Probably have well over 3K.

To tell you the truth I don't know? Been at it for over 40 years and I have somewere around 80 or more fly boxes not all full mind you. But I carry 4 of the C&F boxes and they are full plus a box of caddis and a box of hoppers. I just could not give you a truthful answer. Not even a guess? When I tie orders (Which I do almost everyday) I always add in a half dozen or so for me If I like and use the pattern sometimes many more. Ron

man you guys are making me feel inadequate.
    I usually only carry a couple of hundred flies.
    in maybe 15-20 patterns
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

Good grief...according to my excel sheet 12523
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

For a minute I thought my wife might be behind this topic, when I'm tying she asks me: "how many flies do you NEED?"

Well I guess I need more than I have because I still encounter fish that don't find my offerings as intriguing and as clever as I think they are. I keep thousands of extras in the car but I only carry a few copies of each pattern in my chest box which equals a few hundred carried on the water.

Default Can't count

I'm guessing I have over 200, most of them I tied myself. I may have more...I'm just glancing at the box and estimating. DH probably has just as many, maybe a bit more. Kids have a little less, maybe 150 or 175. Gee, I feel like I should be tying more this winter. I can't imagine getting more cigar boxes and foam to fill up a thousand or two thousand.

I really like all the posts. I like all the folks who carry just a few hundred because it remind me of the time before I was a commercial tier and guide when I'd carry just one box full of a few hundred, and cherished every minute of my time on the water. Now, I have thousands of flies, but don't get to fish that often!!!

I just put down 100+ thinking that that would seem like way too many and having no idea how many flies are in the six boxes I carry and the big duffle full of flies that rides in the car. After reading this thread it seems like I don't have too many after all. Now I can start tying again.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread