+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfect Fishing Shirt?

1. Default

Check out the for sale board!

I ended up getting one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

No loop to hold my net on the back, but I rigged a loop on my wader suspenders, so I don't need it.

Default Shirts

I have tried a few different fishing shirts but my favorite is my Columbia... It's Nylon and Polyester. The pockets are big and the shirt is light weight. It's the Columbia PFG series... I don't like the back neck strap for the net as most of them sort of Choke ya.

I like my Columbia PFG as well, but I think they have gotten away from the synthetics & gone to cotton in that design. I haven't been able to find one in nylon for well over a year.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

What's wrong with cotton? You have to wear the shirt all day! Would you wear synthetic underwear or sleep in synthetic sheets?
    Cordially,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by analogbob
    What's wrong with cotton? You have to wear the shirt all day! Would you wear synthetic underwear or sleep in synthetic sheets?
    Cordially,
    Bob
    Cotton takes a long time to dry.

I was watching this topic to see if anyone would even 'suggest' that a sponsor (you know, those guys who pay the bills to bring you this web site!) might have shirts. As it happens, no one even thought to ask. Makes it a little hard to sell when it comes time for a sponsor to support us for another year. The fact that we often have their new products on here even before they can get them listed on their web site appears to mean little also.
    Remember, it takes money to run this outfit. Upgrades, equipment, monthly charges and maintenance. Without sponsors we're history. I'm not saying don't buy anyplace else, but you should at least try to think of supporting them. They are supporting you. At least right now.

I've got no problem supporting sponsors. Before I posted the query, I checked a number of better known fishing companies, including Redington, Sage, and St. Croix. (The Sage link on FAOL is broken by the way.) As far as I could tell from their online catalogs, none of them have a shirt that met all of the criteria of my original post (missing the d-ring on the back.)

A suggestion: Change the "sponsored by" link. Create a banner link that says: "Please support our sponsors" with a link to the sponsor page. It's not really obvious who FAOL's sponsors are. Making the sponsor link a little bigger wouldn't hurt.

As for sponsorship driving recommendations on equipment, I'm just as glad it did not enter into the mix. When I post asking for help on selecting equipment, I'm hoping for unbiased advice based on personal experience about what works, not who's paying the bills at FAOL. If I thought that people on FAOL were going to recommnend something based on sponsorship of FAOL, then that's the point I stop asking FAOL folks for equipment advice.

see:
    http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/faculty/cdel ... forums.pdf

When internet forums become a vehicle for product placement, they lose their value as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    I was watching this topic to see if anyone would even 'suggest' that a sponsor (you know, those guys who pay the bills to bring you this web site!) might have shirts. As it happens, no one even thought to ask. Makes it a little hard to sell when it comes time for a sponsor to support us for another year. The fact that we often have their new products on here even before they can get them listed on their web site appears to mean little also.
    Remember, it takes money to run this outfit. Upgrades, equipment, monthly charges and maintenance. Without sponsors we're history. I'm not saying don't buy anyplace else, but you should at least try to think of supporting them. They are supporting you. At least right now.

Sorry, didn't know you had already checked them. We try to make sure the folks who we accept as sponsors have good products. But, your point is, because of that, we should not tell anyone. Don't think so. The little logos you mention are just fine for size. We are not 'big on banners' they are so 'old fashioned,' but some still like them I guess. Stats show that most just ignore them now. Thank you for your interest in helping keep us the worlds largest fly fishing web site.

Columbia Sportswear has couple designs that are good. I bought a Gander Mountain Guide Series Fishing shirt a couple of years ago. It had 4 pockets that will hold flyboxes and a few accesories. It's comfortable too.

+ Reply to Thread