The advise above is good. Depending on the time of the year and if a hatch has been going on. If the stream just comes up and there was a good hatch going before the high water there will still be fish feeding on those flies in the shallow water in riffle corners and runs close to the backs. I stay on the bank using nymph's or emerger's of the flies I know were coming off and do very well this way. Fish will lose there fear and come very shallow when a stream gets dirty.

I did this just this last week. We got low snow melt and the river was muddy. You could see about 8 or so inches into the water. All the guides went home and so did the other fishermen. I waited until later in the afternoon letting the water get as warm as possible and then went fishing at about 5 in the afternoon. The Mothers Day caddis was on the day before so I knew the fish were on them. I started with a caddis emerger on a droper and fished this in 12 inches of water and I caught several nice fish in about and hour and a half. While not as good as the fishing can be on this hatch it was better than staying at home.
Now I am not saying that a streamer or larger nymph will not work as they will but if there was a good hatch going be prepared to copy the nymph's and emerger's of that fly fish them shallow and I think you will be suprised. Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 28 April 2005).]