What's it all about? Someone fell into a great deal on old split cane rods, that had seen better days, yet have many years of fishing left in them. It was a bulk purchase, that divided among members of FAOL, who were willing to take a chance, split the cost among themselves.

Now they each are receiving some very nice old split cane rods, that are good for fishing, or with some new thread wraps, or other minor repairs, will live on to fish, many years into the future.

Check the "Things For Sale" Bulletin Board, I found a really nice South Bend Model 52 split cane, that was almost in mint condition. It had some thread wrapping, but still had the old guides for silk. It probably had been in someone's closet, for the past 50 years collecting dust, on it's cardboard tube. It still had the original tube, and sleeve, and the tips were firm and straight.

All it needed was some Cortland "Sylk" fly line to sing on the water again.
Silk fly line, and Cortland "Sylk" fly line (which duplicates the silk, without the hassle and care silk requires), have a smaller line diameter for the line weight. When the new (back then) PVC fly line replaced the Silk, many split cane rods were retired to closets.

After casting my South Bend with the Cortland "Sylk", I fully understand, why many are relearning the joy of fishing with a split cane fly rod.