I know I have posted this pic before, but as you can see this 23" channel cat was caught on a #5 Elkhorn rod and vintage level silk line while fishing for bluegill. It took a Black/Grey Wolly bugger, I think it was a #10. As mentioned above, you are better off with a 7 or 8 weight as the cat can take a long time to tire out with a light rod as did this one. In my opinion it is not fair for the fish or the fisherman. A cat can take a pretty good run and a reel with a drag is also a good idea (the O.C. in the photo has only a click/pawl). I have a #8 Albright with a Medalist 1495 that is a better set up for channel cats for me. As far as flies go, again the Wolly Buggers, dark and Clouser Crawdads are deadly too. You can order Clouse Crawdads from most fly suppler website. for cats, go for number 6 or 8. Be sure to have a landing net, those spines behind the gills are sharp as well as the one on the dorsel. Try lipping one of these lare a largemouth bass and you will find out the true meaning of pain. Enjoy......Jonezee