I am reccomending the following purely because you use the word 'budget" so I would call the Clover Pass Resort in Ketchikan, Alaska first. I am also offering my advice from experience. You could drive your car or van to Seattle and reach Ketchikan by Ferry. A nice trip in itself. Also, Cloverr Pass is one of the few places were you can fish for Halibut and Slamon with out going too far from the lodge. When you talk with them, ask about renting a skiff and going across the narrows to the Kassan River on Prince of Wales island. A find stream for trout and steelhead. Also ask them about any small streams near by to fly fish. Again, big bang for the buck and if this is your first trip to Alaska, it will only get better from there on. There are direct jet flights from Seattle to Ketchikan everyday. And great night life in Ketchikan too. Regarding the US Forest Service cabins, there is one at the head of the Kassan River. The river is feed by a moderate lake and the cabin even comes with an aluminum row boat. It is interesting to know, when you leave the cabin it is customary to leave any food you brought along that is surplus. Most cabins are pretty well stocked. This is of course in case some poor soul is stranded on a fly in or stumbles on the cabin while getting lost in the Wilderness. Good luck. Jonezee

almost forgot Clover Pass Lodge 800-410-2234