Craig, you'll probably really love this sport and I encourage you to try it. I wish I had started at least 30 years earlier than I did.

For some pretty good start up information, go to the FAOL home page, click on the fly fishing basics button and then try the various sections.

Go to the web sites for Cabelas, Orvis and LL Bean and order their free fly fishing catalogs (not their fishing catalogs). That will give you a good idea of the alternatives you have and their prices.

Then, if you have a local fly fishing store, go there, tell them you are interested in taking up the sport and ask them what they reco for you in terms of equipment. If their prices are similar to the catalogs and they don't seem to be pushing you into high end equipment right at the start, buy there. You'll come to treasure the relationship with a good local shop.

There are a large number of beginners instruction books. Se what your local library has or can order for you. I prefer the LL Bean one, but the Orvis one is a close second.

I'm guessing that, living in Indiana, most of your fishing will be still water. If so, my reco would be a medium fast 6 weight as your first rod purchase, followed by a 4 weight for smaller fish later. But a 5-weight would also be fine. 5 is a very versatile rod weight, but can be a bit challenged when casting heavy flies or bring in big still water fish.

The reel quality is unimportant to you at this stage. The line quality is important. You can't go wrong with a Cortland 444 Classic in a double taper (DT) matched to your rod weight. There are many other great lines out there and some probably even better, but this one is time tested and a good value.

You may end up buying a combo set that includes rod, reel and line, as well as other stuff. That's OK as long as it is a good brand name.

There is a ton of good info available to you on the net and some remarkable experts who will answer your questions on various bulletin boards. This board may be the most newbie-friendly one out there. Still, I do encourage you to Google your question before you post it as, chances are, it has been asked and answered many times.

Hope you end up joining us in this most relaxing passion!