+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood Knot question

Default Blood Knot question

I have seen this knot tied in illustrations where the tag ends are wound around the standing line in in the same direction and in others where it is wound in different directions (ccw & ccw) or (ccw & cw), also with 3 turns to 5 turns.

What's up? Which is correct? Will either way produce similar results in strength?

Looking on this site I would refer to the illustration as (ccw & cw). I hope I made myself clear if not I'll try again.

Thanks,
    Leo C.

This might help. Some use different number of turns for different size lines.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/k ... dknot.html

I learned it the way it is described in JC's link: opposite direction winds, CW & CCW, or (CW and ACW for our British friends). It is basically two jamb knots or clinch knots tied back to back.

I also do the less wraps for different size material thing although I am not that specific as to how many turns for what size.

I've been tying the knot for years although it takes all ten fingers and a toe or two to get-r-done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    although it takes all ten fingers and a toe or two to get-r-done.
    Glad I'm not alone there then!

And yeah, I also learned to go ccw and cw.

Sometimes I wonder why a dbl. uni wouldn't do just as well!

Jeremy.

IMHO the double uni is a little better...if you've got it mastered..

Thanks all for answering. I'm going to give that uni a try. I'm still haveing a problem with the knot failing. It could be old tippet. I hate to loose a fish that way.

Leo C.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo C
    Thanks all for answering. I'm going to give that uni a try. I'm still haveing a problem with the knot failing. It could be old tippet. I hate to loose a fish that way.

Leo C.
    Dear Leo,

It may not be old tippet. As you find yourself working with thinner diameters of line it becomes more important not decrease the diameter between sections by more than .002 inches.

That is a general rule, but I often find that when I get lazy and tie 5X tippet to 2X material that the knot doesn't hold as securely as it will if I add an intermediate section of 3X or 4X. Be sure to lubricate your knots with water or saliva and draw them tight smoothly and slowly.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Default Blood Knot

Hi Leo C,

You mentioned that your blood knot is failing on you. Do you wet the knot before pulling everthing tight? I find if I don't put enough spit on it that when your pulling it together the heat from the fricton of the 2 lines you will actually melt and stretch the line. Usually you can feel it do this and when you go to test the knot by pulling on both pieces of line it will ususally break. I make my own leaders and I use the blood knot for all my joints in my leaders and very seldom have one break unless I'm hooked in a tree and have to break my leader to get it out.

My 2 cents worth,
    Alan (salmonguy)
    Catch & Release Works...

+ Reply to Thread