Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: cabela's

Wow! this thread went way off on a tangent! With so many loyal Cabela's customers certainly there has to be more reviews of their line of rods. I hear so much talk of the Name brands and not much of Cabela's on this BB, which is the reason I posted the original question.

DG, you mention that even if another company makes the cabelas blank, the cabelas rod would not be the same as that of the manufacturers. Why is that? Doesn't the performance of the rod lie in the blank? or are you implying that it would not be the same blank, just the same maker?

FL...good research on the example but Harbor Freight does not have the Aquarium or the wonderful wildlife mounts (those magnificent animals taken outa the gene pool by trophy hunters).
    If those amenities I mention entice some one who is to lazy to do the research you did to buy from Cabela's who is smarter Cabela's or Harbor Frt?
    The Cabela brothers got their start after buying left over inventory from Herters when that company went out of business. Leon Chandler called on them when they were working out of their house and made sales presentations on their kitchen table. They built a business that IMO is well conceived and at great risk to their personel finances...you're saying they are not entitled to a profit? Or to set their own profit margins? Or that they are not entitled to become wealthy?

Thanks Hex. We should all take a stand and speak out against right wing extremist organizations such as the National Alliance.

FL_SKIBUM-
    Those are similar products but they are not the same. There is a 100 lbs difference in the weight capacity and it looks like the Cabela's model comes with a platform and also a retaining bar for ATVs. I don't know if that makes up for the additional 60 bucks but if we need to pay attention to details we should actually look at them.

I think that is the point everyone is trying to make here, attention to detail. Like who wrote that article, why, and factual backing.

Anyway, Cabela's let me return a fly rod just because I didn't like it. There was nothing wrong with it. I just wanted a different one. They offered to return my money but instead I just exchanged it for a different rod. Not many places would do that let alone offer to give you your money back!

Rob P

I'm no expert by any means. But I would imagine that different rod companies bid on making rods for Cabelas according to their (Cabelas) specifications. If GLoomis wins the bid for a particular line then that's who makes them. But they may not necessarily be identical to a GLoomis rod. Does this make sense?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

anglerdave,
    I understand what your saying. I guess I pose this question because of what I read in an earlier thread(who makes the rod blanks for most companies), that the one person had inside info that the cabelas FT was the same blank as the Loomis GL3. If the blank was the same, how much different could the rod be? If this were true.

Cabelas is wonderful. I've never had a problem with them. I've returned stuff without a receipt, past warranty, and they've never given me a problem. Their stuff is great most of the time, and if it isn't just send it back. I have 4 Cabelas rods, and they're all great.

Never saw so many people jump to conclusions on both sides without
    any of the facts verified we should be better people than this

Rob P

Cabelas shows their FT as a fast action rod. Yet if you go out to GLoomis' web site and look at the GL3, it is rated as a moderate fast action. Now I haven't cast the FT so I don't know how fast a rod it is. But I have the GL3 and it is what I would call a med/fast action. In fact looking at Loomis' website, they rate that rod as a medium action fast taper. Again Loomis could build the FT rod to the specs given to them by Cabelas. It's hard to say. I think it would be a stretch to say that if you buy a Cabelas FT you are getting a GL3. Different components and so forth. Of course it could be the same rod and you're paying an extra $60 for the Loomis name.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

It could be the other parts they use to make the rod like eyes , reel seat and things like that. All so some might be there 2 nds or not but I think the main thing is differnt hardware. I have the 3 forks presteige combo in 3 wt I love the rod and if I had the money I'd keep buying there rods. I thought there fly lines that have there name on it was made by cortland? No shure if thats right or not But my line that came with my combo has lasted going on 3 yrs with no problems with it either. Hope this was the type of answer you wanted to here. Later Matt

------------------
    To each there own !

Closed Thread