+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vest or chest pack?

Default Vest or chest pack?

Sort of an informal poll here. The basis for my question is this...a few years ago I bought a chest pack on sale at a local hardware store that also sells a little fishing stuff. Not a great pack but OK. Price was right. The problem is I think it is too big. It gets in the way sometimes. Of course the problem might be my inept casting. Anyway, thinking of getting something different.

Who among you wears a fishing vest and who uses a chest pack? What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks for any input.

Good morning I use a vest most of the time and it works well for me. I, from time to time just put a leader walet and a fly box in my back pocket on summer evenings that I wet wade that way I can get fly dressing on my shirt as well as on my vest. lol

Rich

For trout fishing I think a vest wins hands down. By the time you load up a chest pack with all you need, it will be too bulky, will get in your way, and will block your vision when you are walking.

I use a small low profile chestpack for warmwater fishing but I don't carry much - just a couple of boxes.

I also have one of the Wood River bags that hangs at your side. I think it is very nice. Everything is right there when you need it and it stays out of your way when you are fishing. I don't think it is as useful as a vest but it's not a bad compromise. I plan to use mine on plane trips when I don't want to pack my vest.

[This message has been edited by gadabout (edited 26 April 2005).]

I vote for a fanny pack.

Upside: 1) Holds as much as a vest; 2)allows freedom of arm movement; 3)Doesn't kill my back, neck and shoulders like a fully loaded vest.

Downside: 1) Because it's lower, can get more easily wet than a vest - if you're not careful; 2) No place to store a sweater or raingear.

Hi folks, RW here,

I use shirt pockets, and JC, while some might call me a minimalist, you have nothing to fear. My wife took down the "Beware of RW" sign in our front yard years ago.

P.S. I have had trouble finding my car on occasion, but so far I've been able to get home on my own.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

JC

I see you're not taking your meds again.

I use both. I use a chest pack during warm weather months, when I don't want to carry allot and when I am targeting a specific fish. i.e. smallies.

If I'm on a warm weather excursion and I want to carry fly boxes for both crappie and blue gills then I wear the vest. Problem is the vest has shrunk at least one size over the years. *G*
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I just bought a chest pack/backpack combo for fly fishing and it seems to work well. I especially like the fold down flap so that I have a 'table' to use in the midle of a stream.

Vest and a big one. Use to guiding and having what it takes to catch fish if I am away from the truck or boat. Use two carrying for three people I guess? But I know one thing. If it happens on any of the rivers I use to guide I will be ready for it. Ron

PS: I do admit I leave more and more in the truck or boat now day's LOL

Vest. I know the chest pack would be too easy to over fill and get in the way, although I have not tried one.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Neither. I use the Cabela's chest vest.

Advantages: it carries everything I want, has the drop down drawer in the front, is cooler in hot weather, and the back can be accessed while standing in water without taking off the chest vest.

Disadvantages: it carries everything I want and doesn't force me to pare down and I can't see my feet well while wading. I haven't had any problem with it getting in the way of casts or other actions.

+ Reply to Thread