+ Reply to Thread

Thread: getting a clue

Default getting a clue

I have been fly fishing for years. In the last year I began to try and understand more what flying fishing is really all about. I have begun tying my own flies which has turned fly fishing into an obsession. I finally started to look at my gear, especially my fly rod ( Fenwick Eagle 8.5 7wt ). What I found out is that it is a slow rod. I went fishing 3 weeks ago and began to really clue in to its limitations. I would like something that works for me. I mainly fish in Northern California. I would like to get a rod 5 - 7 wt that is a good intermediate set-up. I plan to narrow down the suggestions and test the rods at some local shops. . I would like to buy one off this site if possible. Money is an object here so i would like to be practical. i have always seen great advice from this site, so any help would be great.

sjpike, you might consider building your own. I think if you can tie flies, you can do it. You'll save a few bucks, and it really can be rewarding. When you catch a fish on a rod you built and a fly you tied, you are that much closer to the "full essence".

You don't "need" all those fancy modern tools. In fact I think you might learn more by putting your first rod together without them. Blanks can be had in just about any length/action/price you desire. Try Hook and Hackle for ideas.

Jim

Thanks, Jim I will check it out. I have looked down that road. Time is an issue. I think it would be alot a fun to make your own rod.

Chris

As many will probably suggest as well, I recommend dorbeR (one of the sponsors here). I have 12 rods and two of them are dorbeR. I belong to a casting club and get to try and 'trade to play' many rods. dorberRs are easy on the budget because they do not advertise. They are well made a couple of friends (here in Toronto) have also got them after seeing mine. They are not as fast as a new StCroix Legend Ultra but are faster than a Sage DS (IMHO). I would say they are 2/3 fast and really enjoyable for fishing. Unfortunately you will not be able to try one before buying. Good luck in your search.

I am with Reuel. I like a slow action rod. The fast action has more of a tendency to pop or break your tippet when you set the hook. In my opinion. Not the same for many other people thought. I also use 6x to 8x tippet to.

Hey Folks,

Another vote for slow. I have slow to
    med fast rods and for the pure pleasure of
    casting, it's slow for me, hands down.*G*
    Warm regards, Jim

your right maybe it is my casting. thats why i feel trying a new rod might help. I bought the rod i have just because I knew the name. Talk about clueless. Everyone does things in a different way. Thats why its great to have so many choices. Look at golf clubs. could they make the drivers any bigger, but its nice to hit 250+ every time. Or should you strugle with something that doesen't fit. That's why I vote for what ever works for each person. Thats why forums are great. you can talk to alot of people about similar issues.

I am off my soap box.

Looking forward to more imput. If there is some techinques I might use to help with the rod i have that would be great, because I don't plan to stop using it.

sjpike

RW here,

Slow

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Slow? Medium? Fast? Something in the middle? That is all up to you. To address your inquiry about finding a new rod, my suggestion is to test cast or try as many rods as you can before you buy. It sounds like you want something else, but have not determined what that is. The best way is to try lots of rods and you will determine what "feels" best to you. You can do this by test casting rods at fly shops or trying some of your friends rods.

Good luck and have fun!

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

+ Reply to Thread