+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much would you pay #2

Rich,

First, I never said I "loved" my rods. Second, I don't believe your premise that 'The Rod' will make any other rod feel like a "steel pole".
    Third, the way a rod feels or casts differs from one person to another. 'One man's trash is another man's treasure.
    Fourth, whether rods are graphite, bamboo or glass may matter to some but not to me. I am not a fly rod aficionado and use what I enjoy and am/was able to afford.

Finally, I completely agree with Dr. Bob. The marketing BullSh*t applied to fly fishermen reminds me of the title of a fly fishing book: Wade A Little Deeper Dear.

Allan

My wife says I still can't have it.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

Rich,

My husband already bought that rod. It was $560 + tax, saltwater, 10 wt., US made.

just to get people roiled up...

I've paid $400 for a rod in the past, but I doubt I would anytime soon...

I would assume that "the rod" may sell to a yuppie section of the market for $600+...

I would but $1/2x the rod and spend the other 1/2 on casting and mending lessons if I had the $$ to blow.

Otherwise, I would buy the blank and wrap it up myself........

glgst

Gee, since most of the fishing I do is under 40'(and I can already cast further than that), the added distance your rod may add is not a factor for me. And as for quality and craftsmanship, nothing beats the rods I build myself.

So...I wouldn't pay anything for your hypothetical rod...unless I could get one SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than anyone else and turn around and sell for a nice profit.

There is no way that I could make such a decision without first casting the rod. Even if the rod was 100% guaranteed to allow me cast that extra distance, I would still have to cast the rod first. The reason is, distance is only one factor that I look for in a rod, and it the rod didn't "feel good" to me, I would not buy it.

Emerger

+ Reply to Thread