+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Casting line length

Default Casting line length

This may be a dumb question, then again maybe not... As a relative newcomer to the sport and a self admitted equipment junkie, I was wondering if the amount of line that is cast (or said to be cast) includes the leader and tippet length? For example Scott's website (and others, but since I just bought a Scott, I'll start there) claims that the actions of their rods are dermined by how much the rod flexes with "30 feet of line". OK, fine. But is this 30 feet of fly line PLUS the leader-tippet combo of say 10 feet for a total of 40 feet. OR, is this 20 feet of fly line plus 10 feet of leader-tippet? I would have to assume it is the first, but, I was taught never to assume anything!

This kind of leads in to a related question of "How far can you cast?" When determining how far you can (or do) cast, are you saying flyline only or fly line and leader combo? If Steve Rajeff can cast 100'... can he really cast 110' with leader?

I realize that this fodder for an idle (and anal!) mind, and I can't cast more than 50' anyway (including the leader!!!) but what the heck, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks and I'll take your answer off the air...

Thirty feet is the measurement that line is weighed and the rod is rated for that amount of line without a leader (which weighs almost nothing). In other words a 5 wt rod is supposed to cast and load with 30' of 5 wt line. Lots of variables there cuz a 5 wt rod should cast 5-75' without being over or under loaded.
    If you are measuring a cast...the measurment is from you feet to where the fly lands.

Steelie,

Taking a shot here:

Distance is measured from your feet to wherever the fly lands. Now some of the competitions specify certain equipment so let's limit this to non-competitive casting (actual fishing). You have a 9' rod, 9' leader/tippet and the target is 45 feet from where you stand. If you make a perfectly straight cast you will actually have 27 feet of line beyond your rods tip-top.

Allan

Allan,

... Exactly. That's why on the #43 run over here, first thing we do to get a drag free drift on the back eddy on the far side is move our leaders up to 28 ft. ... That and 10ft rod makes the cast "do-able"

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:837aa]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:837aa]
    Christopher Chin

Buzz/Allan-
    Thanks. Pretty much as I suspected. These lengths seems the most logical. However, Allan, I hadn't given consideration to the rod length. I guess that's the difference between sitting at the computer and contemplating things and actually getting out and fishing! Well, I guess I'll go out to the lawn for a little practice and see how far I can cast!
    Thanks!

------------------
    "Dad can we go fishing?"

"Yes. Of course we can."

Say yes, always say yes.

Steelie D:

This may interest you: Mark your line at the 39 foot length (from line tip, not leader) with a laundry marker. Assuming you have a 9ft rod, when you have that mark at your hand, you know you have the 30ft. of line necessary to load your rod out - perfectly.

Migs

Thanks Migs! That's a great idea! I just spent the last hour or so casting a couple of my rods to different targets (the most interesting one being my cat... "Daddy, you caught a 'catfish'!). I measured and marked the line at ten foot intervals and put approximately 9' of leader on. It gives a better idea of distances for real applications. I guess I am competent at the distances I'll normally be casting (25 to 45') but getting it "out there" consistantly needs work!
    Thanks!

------------------
    "Dad can we go fishing?"

"Yes. Of course we can."

Say yes, always say yes.

+ Reply to Thread