+ Reply to Thread

Thread: San Juan, New Mexico

Default San Juan, New Mexico

Water color was more reminiscent of carp waters than trout habitat. Nevertheless, midge larvae fished deep produced - but all the fish I caught had severely deformed mouths, most likely from numerous hooks. One poor thing had a fused lower jaw - I couldn't open or close it without risking a break. I really felt some of these 'warhorses' would be best euthanized. Also, on the flats above T-Hole I saw several fish with a whitish growth. I caught one, and it seemed like a kind of a fungus. Would anybody know what this is all about? Could it be due to too much handling? It seemed unappetizing, to say the least. In the afternoon a few fish started taking emergers, but I couldn't tempt them with anything I had. Towards dusk there was a hatch of small dark mayflies, but again, I was outwitted, as they rose to within 6" of my #20 parachute adams.
    I was rather disturbed by the poor condition of the fish I landed. They all seemed thin and in very poor physical shape, to say nothing of the head disfigurements. Where are the football rainbows the San Juan was famous for?
    By the way, we stopped by the Duranglers store and found them disassembling the last shelves in the building. Their San Juan store is closing.

Could it be that the fish were getting ready to spawn and their jaws were starting to look different?

No. I can tell ripped-off jaws when I see them.

josko,
    Could it have to do with spawning....the fungus? Some steelhead get it and don't all salmon end with it?
    .....lee s.

+ Reply to Thread