+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Line twist

Default Line twist

I have recently started fishing for bass using top water poppers. Fun stuff to say the least.

My problem is I have been using flies tied with foam bodies with 4 to 6 rubber legs, tail and hackle. Some with a weed guard and some without. These flies seem to cause some fairly severe line twist during the cast. I have been using 2x tapered leaders about 6 feet long with about a foot and a half of 2x tippet. The twist primarily occurs at the junction of tippet to leader. Any suggestions as to the cause of this twist? And of course any remedies?

Thanks,

Kerry
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I find the use of level leaders of vanish in 10 and 12 pound tests to help greatly...can still twist but it's a lot cheaper and easier to tie on a new leader when the twist actually sets into the leader it's self....Just some thoughts.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

The twist is caused because the flies aren't balanced. More material (drag) on one side than the other will make the fly spin during casting.

Your options- use flies with better symmetry, use heavier tippet, live with what you've got and take the twist out every now and then.

Kerry,

I fly fish for for bass and panfish almost exclusively; and, as you know, there's nothing more exciting than a nice LMB creating that wake, then the boil and "slam" your popper or other topwater offering....

Yep, line twist is a pain. If it gets too much of a problem, I snip off the fly, cast the full line out and slowly retrieve it: tie on the fly and start again. You do have to contain your excitement for about five minutes while you do this; especially when they're jumping!!

When I'm totally finished for the day I always do the above so I'm ready for next time.

I don't think we'll ever avoid a little line twist.

Jim

Celebrate it. Encourage it.Work with it. Especially for LMB. Nothing cranks them up like a fly landing on the water and 'buzzing' around in circles or flipping over. How lucky can you get? Learn how to precipitate and control it.

For LM bass try flies with out legs . The bass are not as attracted to them as anglers are. Think wouned bait fish for bass(try adding a little flash) and think bugs with wiggle legs for panfish. On panfish use smaller flies with 2 longer(and smaller diameter) legs on each side. These suggestions along with a minimum of of 10lb test leader should take care of your trouble

[This message has been edited by okflyfisher (edited 06 July 2006).]

There are times you want twist with that I will totally agree Sir Castwell....

Like when fishing my favorite plastic worm..... I use no more than 6 lb leader and strip like a man possessed for the entire first retrieve, Then quickly pick-up and place in the most likely zone of strike!!! let it sink and roll (untwist) strip and repeat usually don't need to rinse and repeat more than twice!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Kerry,
    What's 2x.....about 8#?
    We use a lot of 10#-17# tippet....lots of weeds and poop where we choose to toss. We do not seem to have much trouble with twist.
    We concoct our own bugs, most useing a wire guard. MAYBE that helps "balance" the bugs? Before and after use.....

Gotta love it when a stationary "frog" rolls over onto it's belly (hook side) after the drop.
    .....lee s.

Never had a twist problem. huum??
    Kahuna

+ Reply to Thread