+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass must be bullies.

Default Bass must be bullies.

I went out at lunch to play with the bluegills, but everytime a couple of them came out of cover, some bass showed up and wanted to play. I don't think the bluegills liked the game the bass had in mind, they would all swim away. And the bass didn't want to play with me, they didn't want any of the flies I tried. That hurt my feelings, now I'll have to try and tie some different ones and see if I can teach them a lesson about being a bully.

Hey Sven,

Not unusual to find a bass with attitude.
    I have found however, that both the gills
    and the bass respond well to Rick's FOTW for
    last week. Try throwing them a leech and
    see how they respond. Warm regards, Jim

Swen,

I'm sure the bass wanted to play, they just wanted to play with the bluegills just like you did. I went fishing last evening and saw something I've not seen before. There was a night heron stalking the banks looking for little bluegill to eat. There were several bass following the night heron up and down the bank. Whenever the heron spooked the bluegill, they would dart away from the night heron and the bass were there to snap them up. I watched for several minutes as the heron covered about 50-60 feet and the bass stayed about two feet behind the heron, waiting for the chance to pick up an easy meal. Who says fish are dumb just because they have a small brain.

Jim Smith

Hey, James Smith. That's one cool story. Swen, another possibility is a Gill Buster. And, last winter someone here had a great bluegill immitator tyed with peacock plumes. Haven't had a chance to use it but will over the Fourth. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 19 June 2006).]

We went out this am after bluegills and crappie. While we caught quite a few a 6.5lb bass also grabbed my size 10 fly and gave me a tussle on my 4 wt. A couple gar fish also spoiled one of the better bluegill areas by charging around acting tough. You never know.
    We have seen bass trailing along near a tailing carp or catfish waiting for an easy meal

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Swen,

Remember that BOTH the bass and bluegills can see you very well if you can see them. They might not swim away in fright but it can give both of them an instant case of lockjaw. Try standing well away from the bank, keep low and use natural cover when you fish the area---you might unlock a few fish jaws. This is particularly true if the area is heavily fished. Good luck! 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
    8T, if I stand well away from the bank I will be well above the water. I am fishing an old gravel pit with steep banks and a trail around the edge. If I keep the backcast up enough and look for hikers, bikers etc I can do more than rollcast. There are however tall weeds and saplings that are growing on the waters edge, perhaps I should be hidden behind them and throw a cast from there. Hmmm, I didn't want to attend that lunch meeting anyway, it's only an annual review, there will be one next year.

swen- I hear many voices, but I only listen to the ones from my tackle box.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Swen,

High banks are always a problem. I would still try to stay hidden as much as possible. Clothing that matches the banks as much as possible would be a good start. I would also try to work my way quietly into the tall weeds. You're right about lunch meetings, they should be avoided when possible but be careful, you may find yourself with a whole lot more time to fish than you planned. Good luck! 8T

Swen,
    There is a cast that I use alot when straight casts can't be done. Think its called the change of direction cast. I false cast parallel to the bank, Then when I want to put it on the water I flick my rod tip so the loop kind of goes flat and goes at a curve out to about a 90 degree angle to the bank. This may help with the slope and obstical problem. Try to stay in a crouch allong the bank to avoid being see by the fish. The description isn't perfect but maby someone can clean it up.

Steven

Default They arnt bullies..

Its not that they are bullies, they are just hungry like you are..Cant tell you much about luring them away from the gills but if you can catch thier eye before they spot em your good to go. Go with streamers like wolly buggers (black), poppers, double bunny, sculpin, .Ive had luck on em all...Best of luck

+ Reply to Thread