+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly rod for girlfriend?

1. Default fly rod for girlfriend?

my lady wants to get into fly fishing and she has used my rod/reel to catch a nice largemouth already. so, i want to get her a fly rod that she can learn on and learn it's characteristics like i have with my first rod. i was thinking about a 8'-8.5' 5 or 6 weight. any ladies out there with some advice?

------------------
    take him fishing

perfect,

Male with a suggestion I've read and heard before about getting a woman a rod. Look for one with a smaller diameter cork grip. Or, be prepared to sand one down.

Allan

Take a look at the Wright& McGill FlyGirl rods. I just got my girlfriend one and she loves it. although then again so do i. The best thing about them is that they are made for a females casting style, and grip. Plus you cant really beat the price, 159 and up.

cutty

1. Let her pick out her own rod and reel. Shopping for it is half the fun.

2. If she is getting a 5 or 6 wt., the grip size will not be a problem. Cigar grips are smaller diameter. Now, if it was a full wells saltwater grip...that's another story!

3. Where will she be fishing? Don't go short length if 9' is best for the fishing. With today's lighter graphite rods there is no weight benefit to shorter rods.

4. Beginners are beginners regardless of gender. Moderate actions are the easiest to learn with.

My beginner rod has never been fished and I still use it for teaching, a St. Croix Legend, 5 wt x 9ft. Once I learned how to cast effectively, I moved up in rod speed and quality.

There are plenty of good rods out there for beginners. The SA or Orvis beginner kit at Walmart is an OK first rod. Sage DS has been discontinued and many are being offered at substantital savings. St. Croix Legend, TFO Series 1 or Pro, Echo, etc. Another suggestion is to get a 4 or 5 pc. travel rod to start (Cabela's stowaway is about $100). Even if she moves to a faster or better rod later, she'll always have a rod that travels easily and can be used as a back-up.

Rods are like chocolates...they're addictive

I too saw the W & McG Flygirl rods (at the Toronto Sportsmans Show) and they seemed well suited to the smaller hand and less forceful cast of a woman (or young person). Well made and faily priced.

read the topic and thought you wanted to trade..i have a few rods sittin' around and well....uh never mind........

7. Default

ha! but where would i ever find another girlfriend that WANTS to learn how to flyfish???

shopping for fly rods sounds fun, but i'd be afraid that she would be overwhelmed and just pick any ol rod. i guess going with the moderate action would narrow it down. then finding one with a comfortable grip. then the price, of course...

------------------
    take him fishing

I have some fly rods that I really like but I never thought of them in quite that way.
    Lauder

perfectloop, you are indeed fortunate to have a lady interested, not only in you, but flyfishing too!

My suggestions? Listen to SW Ladyfish. Forget the freu freu ladies rods. Get one to fit where you'll be fishing. If the grip is too big, sand it. Try out lots of different rods. Don't buy the first time out.

What the heck is a "female casting style"?!?! Or "a less forceful cast"?!?! Give me a break! Most of us girls can out fish the guys, and you only need to cast as far as the fish are!! (though I can certainly hold my own in any situation)

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

definitely with Betty on this one, the one people who are sold on "ladies grips" are men. Unless you are a ruddy great gorilla there is no real difference in hand sizes.Same with casting.
    A tip.
    -dont be patronising, you will wear the rod up your nether regions

+ Reply to Thread