+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watercraft Riggings

Default Watercraft Riggings

Hey all,
    Thought I would start a new topic to post creative ways that various members have overcome problems with rigging and improving thier boats. I thought I would start off with a decription of how I mounted a rod holder on my inflatable kayak. As we all know there are many after market rod holders availible, but all are designed for hardshell kayaks. They all require holes to be made for securing them to the boat. I can't make holes in my boat, so I came up with the solution here.

I know it seems simple but it works. I used a late model Scotty flyrod holder, and attached the base to the top right side of the milkcrate I use for storage with Zipties.

The great thing about Scotty rodholders is the versitlity of them. The base as mounted on the side kept having my rod rub against my boat and making the rod fall in the water and trail behind me when I paddled. But then on looking at the rodholder more closely I discovered It also had holes on the side of the base that could be used in the same way as the standard mount hole. All I had to do was take the holder apart from the base, line up the grooves and notches on the side hole and now my rod rides high and is fully adjustible. I also have the option of trading out the flyrod holder for a spinning or baitcasting rod holder(probley won't happen). I thought this might help others who want to possibly add another rod holder to their kayaks cheaply. This whole set up cost about $15 and that was for the rodholder, if you look around I know you have Zipties laying in a drawer somewhere.Many of you already have the Milkcrate in the back of your kayak, might as well put it to work.
    Keep the post coming and we can learn from each other.
    Sarge.

------------------
    The enemy was many and they were but few,
    But they stormed the gates of hell with glory in their eyes,
    For tonight they sleep in Valhalla.

[This message has been edited by Southside Sarge (edited 08 June 2006).]

Zipties, excellent! Now if you just find a way to make use of some duct tape and a bobby pin on that contraption it will be perfect! A great solution. I may have to try something like that for my pontoon. A combination stripping basket and rod holder. I have the rod holder designed for the pontoon or float tube but I can't find anywhere to put it where it doesn't get in the way of the oars.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

If it's contraptions and concoctions for pontoon boats you'd like to see, spend some time scrolling through the pages of this gallery. It might generate an idea or two for your own rig.
    [url=http://www.bass-n-tubes.com/gallery/rigging?page=2:9b91b]http://www.bass-n-tubes.com/gallery/rigging?page=2[/url:9b91b]

When all's said and done, it's pretty hard to beat a life vest as the number one addition to any craft.

Best, Dave

Hope the tyraps are sunproof. A boat is going to see a lot of sun. Soon they become brittle and break if you just bump one. I think you need something other than tyraps.

Gem

Blog Entries

My father in law who has worked maintanance for years swears that black tye wraps last much longer than white ones. the UV doesnt effect them as much. Perhaps when you change them you can go to black.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

thanks for the pic and ideas

Eric had it right. When you go to your local Lowe's and look at the Tye-Wraps you will notice that some are labled UV Protected and they are always black in my experience. If you are going to use them outside, get the ones that are labled as such.

[This message has been edited by Bluegill Budd (edited 09 June 2006).]
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

mojoman - Great summer storm photo. Well composed and beautiful "action." JGW

Hey Mojo,

I deleted your post as it sounded as if
    you intended to post a single photo. The
    url you used opened your whole picture file.
    Sorry if that was your intent.*G* Warm
    regards, Jim

Still a great photo.

+ Reply to Thread