+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Hello,
    I'm a newbie to the board and newbie to Fly Fishing. I don't have a clue if I'm doing it right or not. Went out the first time yesterday at a local creek and enjoyed it. I hooked a few but didn't get em in. My question is 1) Can anyone recommend a good all-around fly/popper for bream or small bass? 2) Is 4 lb. leader OK for this? 3) Is there a knot that I should be using to keep the bait on better? Thanks... look forward to being a contributing member here.
    FF

Firstly, welcome FF. You have found the best repository of Fly Fishing information on the web. As to your questions:

1. I was started on foam spiders and they are still my "go-to" fly for top water Bluegills and Bass. You can find them for sale almost anywhere that sell fishing tackle and when you start tying (and you will) they are easy to tie. You will do better with two colors, one dark one light and two sizes, one small one large. Figuring out which of the four will be the fun part.

2. For the second question, I will send you to the left side of the main page to a catagory labled "Flyfishing Basics". An interesting couple of hours in that section will answer many of the questions that your have and that will come up as you get started in this "Recreational Activity - Sport - Hobby" or RASH, as I have said before.

Again welcome to the board and stop by some night to the chat room and introduce your self to the crowd.

Clint (AKA Bluegill Budd)
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Welcome aboard both to FAOL and to fly fihsing. I think you will find the basic information you are asking about where Bluegill Bud directed you. Also, you can find lots of information about effective warmwater patterns in both the archives found under fly tying and in some of the articles written by members of this board. Four pound test tippet is what I use for bream and works fine. Good luck and welcome to the best fly fishing site out there.

Jim Smith
    Conyers, Georgia

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll check out the "Basics" section. Budd - I'll get one of those spiders ASAP. Gonna try again this afternoon. See ya on the water.

FF
    Warner Robins, GA

Hi FF,

Welcome. I see you are from Warner Robins. My best friends brother and mother live there. Good country.

------------------
    Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

FF,
    Is there a knot that I should be using to keep the bait on
    Not a problem most of us have.

What I meant was... is there a preferred knot that I need to use. Better choice of words....

Yes. One that holds the bait on!
    Sorry FF. Had to. Welcome. In the features section there is a Panfish section and a Warmwater section. Both might be of interest to you.
    Enjoy the journey....
    .....lee s.

FF,
    Welcome! You have certainly found the best family on the net! Your honesty & humility shown here will be rewarded. Folks have a tendency to help those who admit they have room to learn.
    As far as poppers go, I LOVE sneaky petes! They are basically a "reversed" popper...in other words, the "pointy end" is at the front!...In fact, I took a solid 9 1/2" gill yesterday on a "James Smith" tied sneaky pete while fishing for bass.
    You will also find info on good knots, etc here. I have a long way to go, but the fine folks on this site have taught me "volumes". I have been here over 3 years & am STILL finding "new to me" stuff in the archives.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!

[This message has been edited by ohiotuber (edited 29 May 2006).]
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

FF;
    That darn ohiotuber always beat me at welcoming new members. But what he said is true (somewhat unusual for an Irishman!!).
    New Members have to chop the wood and make the coffee and rembember to wipe their feet before entering the club house!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

+ Reply to Thread