+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spawning Temperatures

Default Spawning Temperatures

I think that both Smallmouth and Largemouth spawn when water temperatures is in the low 60s. Bluegill, on the other hand, spawn when the water temperature reaches the high 60s.

Bluegill, therefore, must spawn after LMs and Smallies. Does that sound right?

Blog Entries

LM and 'gills may overlap some, but basically - yep.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

As a rule, smallmouth bass will be the first to spawn followed by the largemouth. Largemouth like a little warmer water than smallmouth to spawn.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

it our waters it is typically crappie,sm bass,lm bass, catfish, bluegills. they overlap some because of early staging of the various species

Spawn is influenced by 'degree days' as is much of aquatic development and activity.

Does length of daylight time enter in other than to raise water temps?
    .....lee s.

BFB,

The majority of smallies will begin spawning on the first full moon after the water has reached a consistant 58 degrees, and continue spawing on full/new moons until they are done, typically about 1 1/2 months, with some earlier and some later. This 'starting' temperature varies from lake to lake, year to year, and bass to bass, but 'consistent' temperature is usually the key that gets them going.

Largemouth will start on the first full moon after water temps reach about 65 degrees consistently, and continue on full/dark moon cyles until they are done. Sometimes you can find LM bass spawning for as long as three months, but the majority will spawn on the second full/dark cycle. It's not uncommon in warm areas for some bass to spawn in the fall. There have been documented cases of some females spawning twice a year.

On lakes with large populations and large water fluctuations, some bass will be spawning all summer, from the first warm period until the water dips below 70 in the fall (natures defense against dropping water degrading the spawn).

On large reservoirs, the spawn will stagger down the lake from the shallow arms to the main lake (no, bass do not travel far to spawn-seldom more than 1/4 mile, and usually only a few yards in most cases).

THEN, we have the anomalies. It's not uncommon to see bass spawning at odd times. Like after several days of sunny weather in December, etc..

I know 'gills spawn after the bass, and they spawn 'longer', but I'm not as up on them.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Thanks!

I was trying to figure out what might be happening on our local lakes. (Normally, I'm trout fishing right now and not paying attention.)

I think I might be able to estimate the water temperature in a lake (without actually going there and measuring) by averaging the daily highs and lows over the past week. Say a lake is near a particular town where the highs and lows are published. Then if I just averaged the 7 highs and 7 lows, and it was, say, 58 degrees -- that might be reasonably close to the actual water temperature.

What d'ya think?

I've been busy tying up gurgle-pops, some aliens, and some Gartside gurglers. I'm gonna catch some smallies, LMs, and some 'gills outa my kayak this year.

I really like those aliens and those gurgle-pops.

Bluegill facts

Beds Sand and fine gravel
    Spawn Temperatures 67F to 80F
    Peak Feeding Temperature 69F

The Geezer
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

This is a site that I use to snoop water temps and use it as a GENERAL rising and falling temp "pattern" indicator. There is a spot in the bottom right corner of the temp thingy to push for about 10 day's history. [url=http://www.lauritzens.com/water/Water.asp:e2806]http://www.lauritzens.com/water/Water.asp[/url:e2806]
    You should be able to find such a site near you....I hope.
    A change of about 10* drop in high and low for several days usually only translates to a couple degrees drop in water temps....which we now have, which seems to be detrimental to our local shad bite.....?
    .....lee s.

+ Reply to Thread