+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scientific Anglers L2 Connectors

1. Default Scientific Anglers L2 Connectors

First of all, I have read the review of the SA L2 connectors on this web site. So therefore do not remind me of this. What I would like to know is have any of the readers use any of these yet in your fly fishing? What are the pluses and minuses of the SA L2 connectors that you have encountered? I am thinking about in investing in them for all of my SA fly lines.

wcu:

I sincerely believe that the least bulky line-leader connection is the best bet in the long run. Plus Fly Fishing is all about knots which sooner or later you're going to have to learn, so don't avoid them. Having said that I would just nail knot the leader directly to the line and then put a drop of super glue on the knot. Then pull on each side of the knot to flick off the excess glue.
    Another reason to avoid these connectors is that it limits you to use only their brand of leaders. (They don't sell the other side of the connector, as it comes pre-connected to their own leaders.)

Migs

3. Default

L2L's are proprietary to SA. The tool is necessary and it may prove to be a hassle.

My main question is "Will the whole leader break off if and when the fly is hung up in a bush or under a submerged rock or ???"

You may want to take a look at Wright McGill's "Leader Link". Less expensive, no tools, simpler procedure. Check out eagleclaw.com.

Why not use two perfection loops and go loop to loop?

For a while I've tried using loop to loop but every other cast ended up catching on the fly line loop. More knots then you could ever want! I now use a loop on the leader side and the Castwells knot shown in the knot section. Works great!

Last year I received two of the L2L connectors and used them for most of the summer. I fish mostly warm water for panfish. I had no problems casting and thought that they turned over very nicely. And, I had on problem with it passing through the guides on my rod. Oh the ones I was sent were 3x. I also liked the orange connector in that it was like having a built strike indicator. I used it primarily on my 6wt rod and used that same leader set up on trip to YNP in late August to fish hoppers. If you change leaders allot, it is not for you. If you fish with the same leader I would recommend it. Even though I was sent a 3x because that was what I requested, I wound up tying 4x and 5x tippets without any problem.

Hope this helps.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I put them on my line and imediatatly cut them off, too bulky! the little connection is not that small in my opinion. Plus carrying a little plastic tool around to put the stupid things together was not something I was willing to do either.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I also received 2 of these last summer and used one for almost a year now. They are plenty strong enough using 4x tippet and won't seperate before the tippet breaks. I have one rod that they don't clear the tip and second guide very well so I don't reel it past the tip with a fish on. Some times with 9' leader and 2' of tippet it gets pretty hard to reach the fish as I don't really care to use a net. On a trip this past weekend at one point I wanted to change to a sinking poly leader until I remembered that I had the L2L cinnector on and could not change easily.

they wore thru my lines so I cut them off and went with loops

I received a couple samples last year. I experienced most of the annoyances noted by others. Gave one a pretty fair shot over several days fishing. I was impressed with the quality of the leader material itself. They overhand casted well, and ran through the guides OK.

But I too cut it off, and gave away the other sample.

The killer for me was side arm casts. I used to have to do a lot of them to get way back under brush. The mass of the connector caused it to overshoot in the direction of the cast, and the leader/fly would flag behind. Very annoying. I probably could have learned how to use it that way, but after a week of frustrations, I decided it just wasn't worth it.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread