+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Hyde's Overlined 1 Wt.

Default Joe Hyde's Overlined 1 Wt.

Joe,

In your warm water article you talked about your new 1 wt. Clear Creek that you overlined with a WF2F. How is that working out for you? Are you staying with the WF2F? Or have you drop back to a WF1F?
    Curious minds want to know!
    Thanks, Jim S.

I am in the same situation;

Dan blank overlined with a wf 2 weight line, just right for throwing a little larger bugs!

Wouldn't change it for the world!

chris from canada.

Joe is waiting for his new Dell laptop to arrive and is off-line for a bit (unless he happens to 'stumble' in from work.)

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Jim,

My Clear Creek is still overlined with WF2F. A few weeks prior to buying a 00-wt. Sage I got a spool of WF1F, intending to switch out the Clear Creek's reel to a line matching the rod weight. That 1-wt. line is still in the box.

The 1-wt. Clear Creek worked just fine with 2-wt. line. Well, fine for me; someone else might not like it.

My intent in overlining was to suppress the rod's action during loading, and thereby soften the launch. I like a soft delivery with shorter casts. It worked.

The 00-wt. rod is all I've been fishing with for almost a month now. My 1-wt. is in standby status for trips when I go into really tight cover where a shorter length is more practical. One such trip may be coming up in a couple weeks.

Sorry for the late reply; I was out of a computer. Got one now, but due to my mobile lifestyle I still won't be as "contact-able" as, say, 6 months ago.

Hope you've been catching some fish!

Joe

"Better small than not at all."

I to use a 2 wgt on my 1wgt.Orvis---Also I find the larger line enhances my ability to cast larger flies when going after warm water fish.

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. The sage 00 wt sounds great for blue gill and crappie fishing but it's a little out of my league price wise.

I'm thinking of getting the Cabela's Clear Creek 1 wt. for blue gill and crappie, and was wondering how that rod worked out for you. And if you recommend it, should I go with a WF1F or WF2F line?

For reference, I'm using a Cabela's Three Forks 3 wt. combo for pan fishing right now.

Thanks,
    Jim S.

Jim,

Poster "mudni" in this thread makes an excellent point, one I've never considered: heavier line lets you throw heavier flies. What mudni says is worth your consideration if you envision using a Clear Creek 1-wt. fly rod to throw heavier flies like big poppers, streamers -- especially Clousers.

It might be heresy to suggest this, but I'll bet a person can use 3-wt. or even 4-wt. line on a 1-wt. Clear Creek rod and do just fine. If that extra line weight slows down your casting stroke, so what? 7-ft. 1-wt rods aren't used for long casting anyway, right?

Sure, I would recommend Cabela's Clear Creek 1-wt. rod as a good one to use for bluegill and crappie fishing. If you end up going with the matching 1-wt. line, post and let us know how it works for you.

I think you'll be surprised how stout that 1-wt Clear Creek is in combat situations. It was a real eye opener for me!

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Thanks, Joe.

If I go ahead and follow that route I'll post it and let you know what I think of it.

I may go ahead and buy both a WF1F and WF2F, and also try it with the WF3F I already have and see what happens. It would probably be a good thing, my casting stroke, like my golf swing, can stand all the SLOWING down it can get!

[This message has been edited by DieKatze (edited 15 May 2006).]

Just to muddy things up a bit more -
    I went with an 8' 2 wt rod for bluegill because I wanted to use #10 cork poppers with rubber legs; that's about all you want to cast with a 2 wt for several hours IMO. I also use a lot of 12 3XL beadhead flies - again I don't know how a 1wt would handle that size nymph. TFO makes a fairly nice 8' 2wt in their Pro series.

Just another though....

donald

Intersting point, beadleech. We all DO tend to fish for a number of hours at a time, so the heavier the line we're throwing the more easily and quickly our hand/wrist/arm tires out. Subsequently, perhaps 3-wt. line on a 7-ft. 1-wt. rod is too much of a good thing.

However...doesn't Mr. Hatch throw 3 and 4-wt. lines on even shorter rods when he's after redears in SC? Maybe he needs to weigh in here with an opinion or two regarding double and triple overlining a 1-wt. rod

Jim Hatch...calling Jim Hatch...do you copy?

Joe

(see you tomorrow, folks; I'm hitting the sack)

+ Reply to Thread