+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Koi on a Fly

Default Koi on a Fly

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:03 pm Post subject: Koi on a Fly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well now I've seen it all. Clay caught a 5 1/2 pound carp on a fly. We were enjoying 3 hours of non stop peacock bass action, when Clay yelled and set the hook on what he just knew was the largest peacock bass ever to come out of Lake Wilson. It was wild, this fish was stripping line from the reel and Clay is trying to head the boat to deeper water. Clay had the wireless remote for the electric motor, so all I could do was shoot pictures and shout encouragement. The carp stayed deep and never jumped, so we still figured it was a big tuke on the line. Finally, after a long stubborn fight, it broke the surface and you should have seen the look on Clays face. Total surprise.
    In 15 years of fly fishing, this was Clays first carp on a fly.

Aloha,
    Stan

can you tell us what kind of fly did he use?

I'll have to ask clay what fly he was using. We were fishing for peacock bass at the time. I'm guessing it was some kind of a white streamer. I'll find out for sure.

this is a koi! [url=http://www.westfly.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=017927:399be]http://www.westfly.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=017927[/url:399be]

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

Indeed it is. That person posts regularly on my carp forum and has been chasing that weary fish for quite some time. It must have put up a good fight on a fly rod

Anthony,
    I thought that was you from CAG. I enjoy his stories of him chasing "Highway Cone" around. Stan Congrats to Clay. I believe that carp are up there in the strongest fish in fresh water list.
    Steven

+ Reply to Thread