+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radisson/SportsPal?

LB - trolling works VERY well out of a canoe or other small boat for 'gills. Sometimes it's almost embarssing - notice I said 'almost'!!

donald

Thanks for posting the link warren..and for all the info in this thread..Having not heard of this brand before...and Knowing in the future I'll be needing a good canoe as the kids get to where they can handle one on their own (With me not far off)...I'll be keeping this in mind...seem a good deal lighter not to mention WIDER..than most out there..Two very big issues where kids are concerned..both of my current water craft are of a solo nature..I'll prolly have to invest in a trailer for them all at some point!!!...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

A couple of observations on the Sportspal.

Buying the 14 footer was a good decision. It paddles much more efficiently than the 12 footer. Because of the width of the beam in this canoe longer is better.

With the sponson floatation on the sides of the canoe the Sportspal is virtually untippable. I once stood on the gunnel of my 14 footer and fell in the water but the canoe didn't come close to flipping.

I stand in mine to flyfish with no qualms whatsoever.

When it comes to portaging the canoe is always heavier after use as the foam lining absorbs any water that splashes into the canoe.

It rows really well. But for paddling get a pair of proper canoe paddles as the oar type paddles are too clunky for serious paddling.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new aquisition.

------------------
    "...whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

Thanks Speck. I'd considered the 12 footer, seven pounds lighter could make a difference to 70+ year old folks. But the aspect ratio (Length to width ratio) made me decide on the 14 footer. You're right. It paddles and rows quite well. And with the electric motor we can almost handle skiiers! . Not true.
    Thanks to all who helped with comments and info.

Bill

------------------
    Name indicates where I fish and for what I fish.
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

littlebrook,
    I have a 14' Sportspal myself and cannot find any faults with it whatsoever. have owned it for about 5 years.
    I welded up a 2 wheeled dolly out of some 1" square aluminum tubing with 2 wheelbarrow tires for ease of portaging to out of the way ponds and small lakes.
    Bryan

+ Reply to Thread