+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Through the Looking Glass

Hey Angler Dave,

Obviously I confused you with my response
    to your previous posting.*G* I didn't mean
    that YOU sent me wet flies. I was just
    commenting that it is a real treat to be
    able to watch the fish take your wet flies.
    Or my wet flies or anybodies wets.*G* The
    more I type the more confusing it gets. I
    will quit now.*G* Warm regards, Jim

Hi Jim,

I was off on a camp/fish last weekend. I was drifting some soft hackles and wee wets, neither of which are popular in New Zealand for some reason? Anyway, down stream fishing often results in very noticable "tugs and takes", but a few times I noticed nothing more than some "pressure" building on the line, as if I picked up some weed on the drift. I tightend up on the line, lifted the rod tip, and sure enough it ended up there was a fish on! I remember being surprised on at least one occasion that there was a fish, or anything, as it was just that suddenly something felt a bit different about the drift.

There were a few spots where the water was gin clear, and I could see the take. The most interesting was after having spooked a nice trout twice with a small dry fly (lined her), I switched to a soft hackle and tossed that up stream of the fish. The fly drifted by, and when the fly was just passed the fish's head, it turned and intercepted it (ended up being a 2.25 lbs, 18.8 inch rainbow). On a couple of other takes on wet flys where I could see the take, it seemed the same thing. The fish let the fly pass, and then turned to intercept it. These were ususally quite noticable because the fish has to swim around to re-face into the current. So, I figure on the more subtle takes, the fish intercepted the fly before it drifted by, and just moved over, grabbed the fly, and moved back into feeding position, which then means the only signal is the fact the line is now being held and the pressure is that of the current on the line.

Anyway, I learned a lot from being able to see how the fish react. And, I agree, it's very exciting to see what's happening.

- Jeff

[This message has been edited by JeffHamm (edited 20 April 2006).]
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

anlgerdave not using an olive bugger.

Not sure my heart can take the surprise.

Rick

great post, from everyone involved, and thanks Jim for the kick off

I spent this last fall /winter trying to learn to nymph for trout and drove eveyone nuts with the constant question," how do you know when they take the nymph ""

It is such a comfort to me to now know that gills and bass do the same thing. I have experienced the > let's cast again..opps there a fish on syndrome ... too often .

Yesterday , I was out and the gills would hit any underwater presentation reasonably presented but not aggresively and not often. I wondered then it I was having a "mouthing" experience. At least 80% of my casts end up with slack at the tippet so I would indeed never have a chance in that situation.

Great info on the attractant too, many folks think this is un-cool but it is interesting non-the-less. Let's see , we tie flies to fool and/or entice the fish to take our offering , BUT , we have questions with odor attractants ( kinda like adding flash ? ) .... I'll have to think about that.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but a vivid memory to share.

I was throwing a green weenie as a dropper in a perfect trout pool last year. Water was clear, and I was casting cross stream to a submerged log, hoping for tenants in its shadow. Sure enough, a monstrous 2-inch brown trout latched on. I slowed & paused bringing him in as he swung down-stream to the middle of the pool because it was such a great view in the clear pool with the lowering sun catching him just right. A second or 2 later, a 14-incher joined and looked like he was gonna play the small-fish/big-fish game. But no, he repeatedly tried to take the weenie out of the mouth of my hooked monster. Finally seemed to ID me as more danger than a tree as the pair was only 2 feet down and 3 feet away. I did some very careful quick microsurgery so the little guy would grow up. Wasn't much bigger than the fly.

As for the weenie pattern, instead of just looping the 'tail', I over-twist the chenille and let it double back/twist back on itself. I make them down to a 14.

Hey David,

Thanks for the input. I've had some
    really good experiences with the green
    weenie as a dropper since Smernski
    introduced me to it last year. I'm within
    about a week of getting serious in my quest
    for big red eared sunfish here in South
    Carolina and I think that fly will increase
    my chances for a new personal best. I tie
    mine with about 5 wraps of lead wire and
    give the tail loop a tight twist before
    starting the body wrap. One bonus to the
    pattern is it's high visability and being
    able to see it dissappear when they close
    their mouth on it. Warm regards, Jim

Jim: One more post and we can bind this, get a title, a table of contents and a glossary in the back. Oh yeah, you will have to dedicate it too. Just kidding, always enjoy your posts. Jonezee

Jim, I was glad to hear of this. I was fishing from a bridge where I could see the bg's clearly. I started using a yellow foam spider and caught one bg. After that, they would just float and stare at it. Every once in a while one would mouth it quickly and more quickly spit it out. IF I moved it, they would swim toward it and sometimes bump it a bit but not take it. I switched to a green foam spider, a red foam spider and a grey foam spider, same results. I tied on a cream scud dropper. The same results but looking at the bg's they would circle around the scud like spokes around a wheel. Again a twitch would make them come running but they would not actually take the fly hard enough to feel or register on the line. I tried a couple of other flies but no sucess. I had thought it was because lots of times they are fished for with hot dogs bits or worms and my flies did not have the right smell. I am thinking of carrying a little bacon grease with me to 'grease' up the fly, or at least let it smell a little bit for bg's. Later in another part of the pond I caught a couple of bg's by casting close to and parallel with the shore and then doing the twitch, wait, twitch, wait retrieve but it may have been just that I twitched when one was mouthing it.

Jim;

I wonder if the difference in the takes had anything to do with the clarity of the water, and was an anomaly in the way the fish feed normally. In other words, since the water was so clear, they could also see the flies better and were less likely to just accept them as food items, but were at least willing to try them and see if they 'tasted' as good as they looked. But then in more 'normal' water clarity the fish are more likely to hold onto the flies longer. Too bad we can't just ask them!

Don
    Don Rolfson

I spent about 3 hours yesterday standing on the edge of a steep bank pestering bedding Crappie with everything I could find.

I even resorted to trying scents, power bait (after 3 hrs in the sun of seeing but not getting a hit, I was willing to stoop to almost anything).

The only thing that got any non-trivial attention was a tiny thin plastic worm that was hunter's orange (safety orange) color.

Even then, they'd barely take the very tip and not disturb the strike indicator.

As evening settled in, about 6pm, the shadows in the area I was at started creeping in and the number of crappie chasing whatever I tossed went way up, but the number of nibbles stayed pretty even (and very faint).

I even saw a few trout cruise by one at a time. I'm guessing they were window shopping...waiting to see if the fry were ready yet.

I don't think the Crappie were spawning just yet but they were definitely on their beds (at least the bigger ones) and would protect it from other crappie but didn't care much about bugs, worms, etc that were parked in their space.

Water temp is 63 degrees F. A week ago, it was 59 but it hit 63 by Sunday and has held there. This week has been pretty mild (except yesterday...we hit 80 degrees and clear skies).

I've heard the bass are bedding up on the other side of this reservior but haven't been able to try them yet (work, life, and a nasty head cold are conspiring against me).

It was still a lot of fun to watch how many crappie would follow a retrieve and to vary the retrieve to see how that changed their reaction.

If I couldn't see them down there, I would've sworn that spot had zero fish.

+ Reply to Thread