+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nice Carolina Evening......personal best Bluegill!

Default Nice Carolina Evening......personal best Bluegill!

Well, after so many early spring farm chores and reminding myself that fishing is a "big waste of time", I quickly repented and found a few evenig hours to unwind on the water. Good thing too, as I was rewarded with my personal best biggest bluegill.......a WHOPPER...at Ten inches in length! I did not weigh it but that was irrelevant to the occasion. It put up a good tussle on my H&H 4 wt with the beloved medalist. The fly was a gummy minnow with I promptly lost in four subsequent casts into the trees. Caught some more good size BGs, Crappie and LM bass. All and all a rejuventating evening on the water. Hope the fish are biting whereever you wet your line.

THE BIG BOY!

Crappie on a Clouser

More Dandy BGs

[This message has been edited by featherchucker (edited 15 April 2006).]

Featherchucker,
    GREAT start to the season! Always nice to add a personal best & that is a dandy gill anywhere!...Congrats!!
    Love your State..we've missed this year & last, but will be heading back to the Outerbanks next year.
    BTW, sometime in May I will be in Dunn (near Raleigh) to pick up a canoe. Shoot me an email if interested in possibly getting a few of us together for a meal or maybe even to wet a line.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Very nice fish. I'd like one that size on my 2 wt rod!!

Donald

makes the dinks I have been catching looks smaller than they are. THanks for the pictures and mentioning the fly you used.

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

gardenfish- the fly used on the BIg Boy BG was the Gummy minnow and I was fishing in 4-5 feet of water at the very extreme corner at the dam end of the acre plus pond near my house. This is one I found via Terraserver satellite imagery and got permission to fish. I lost the gummy minnow within 4 casts of that fish. darn it ! The other fish were caught on small white foam poppers with either silli legs or a hackle feather right behind the foam. Just tied another dozen foam poppers last nite for Fri. evening after work. The topwater action was smashingly intense. HTH.
    Steve

------------------
    I fish, therefore I swam.

FC,

Did you get the Speck on the Gummy or is that a type of Clouser? Sinking line or floating? Thanks.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 19 April 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

DA- the speck/crappie was caught on a clouser self tied which was put on right after the gummy went thirty feet up into the trees not to come donw no matter how hard I coaxed it. SNAP!

Anywho....the crappie took the clouser as it was fished about 6 feet down slowly, jigged during the retrieve on the dam which has a drop off on the back side of 12-15 feet. So I' guessing the water depth is close to that, though, obviously the crappie either came up for the clouser or was suspended near the tree cover that I cast near. This clouser has bead chain eyes, a strip of peacock herl on either side and several strands of crystalflash just like the ones in this pic. Floating line no indicator. About 6 feet of 5X tippet , no leader. HTH. I knew there were crappie at that end of the pond hence the gummi minnow and clousers. The big gills fought fiercely; the crappie did the usuall "flip flop thing" under water.

------------------
    I fish, therefore I swam.

+ Reply to Thread