+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gatorbait?

Default Gatorbait?

I was wondering if any of ya'll wade around gators?

I run into issues shore-fishing because of the trees in my backcast, but I haven't the cajones to rub elbows with the gators while I fish.

I've talked to a few guys in a local fly shop, and they've told me that 90% of the time, if they're FF-ing, they're in the water next to gators...

...but somehow it still seems rather dangerous.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Hi Mike,

Here in SC, the gators are plentiful
    also. I fish around them often in my kayak
    or my small bass boat. While I have never
    had a serious problem with them, I have in
    recent years noted that many have lost their
    fear of humans and will put themselves in
    close proximity. There are enough gator
    attacks each year for me to consider it
    problematic. I will NOT wade around them
    for that reason. I have however seen other
    folks do it with apparantly little or no
    concern. I'm not one of them.*G* Warm
    regards, Jim

Don't chance it. They're unpredictable and can kill you. I've had them charge the boat, turning at the last minute, when I was too close to the nest.

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:25c3e]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:25c3e]

"I've had them charge the boat, turning at the last minute"....

GEEEZ Roger...!!!!

No way, man. Same way with bulls. I'm a wussy I guess!

Jeremy.

no, No, NO! Don't do it, especially this time of year. I love gators, and believe it or not, they are one of the things I miss about my former home in Savannah. I always enjoyed them from a respectable distance. Even in a boat, if one comes near me, he is immediately given the right-of-way, and I go away from his area. This time of year (spring) they are feelin' amourous, and just like some human males, gator males get real upset if you get too near their girls. Just like Roger, I have had them swim my way before in the spring. This is gator for "get the heck away from my woman!" and you would be wise to heed their warning. I also think Jim's comment about gators "becoming used to humans" bares repeating. In my time in Savannah, I actually could see that phenomenon happening. I imagine that it's an even larger problem in Orlando.
    All that being said, if you chose to wade with gators later this summer (again, PLEASE don't even consider it right now) do so only with GREAT caution, and only in areas where you can see the bottom of the body of water you're wadeing in. Then, remain super vigilant, 'cause you won't hear 'em coming!
    Swamp

Blog Entries

all other considerations aside, once you are in the water, or near it at all, you are on the lower end of the scale.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:7a02b]Sweetness On The Water[/url:7a02b]
    [url=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/bgl/:7a02b]Good Ol? Lepomis Macrochirus[/url:7a02b]

No, I do not wade with gators when they are around but I do wade from time to time. I usually bank fish when possible. When I'm on my little pontoon boat and there are some gators around, I just either row somewhere else or go somewhere else depending on the critter's disposition. Gators don't like boats. Even small boats. But I wouldn't get near a gator or its nest no matter what boat I'm in. I'm extra careful during the mating season. I avoid gator nests and gators at all times. Gators are also territorial and gator fights happen from time to time, especially during mating season. They have a low rumbling growl to warn other gators.

Another tid bit. We are starting to warm up in the South so its time to be extra careful out there, Folks, as snakes will be starting to get active also.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

8. Default

Here's a site with a story that might make you think twice about wading. It's from Florida's ever popular Mosquito Lagoon.
    In brief, a guy was poling his flats boat along and a 10 foot gator took a chomp out of it. When he tried fending it off with his push pole, it bit two feet off of the pole also. It doesn't say how he got away though...
    [url=http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Sports/Outdoors/sptREEL033106.htm:a0018]]http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Sports/Outdoors/sptREEL033106.htm][/url:a0018]

Warmouth

[This message has been edited by Warmouth (edited 12 April 2006).]

Warmouth,

Your link didn't work for me but chances are 9 out of 10 that if that gator attacked, it was fed by some moron. Gators don't do that unless their behavior has been altered by humans. The other chance is if the boat was near a female's nest and she was defending or the boat had an open live well with fish odor.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 12 April 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Blog Entries

...and that would be yet another reason not to wade around gators. They might be expecting food from you and get testy if it isn't forthcoming. If a gator tears my leg up, it would be a very cold comfort indeed to have somebody tell me that it wasn't a "real" gator, just one that was used to being fed by people...

+ Reply to Thread