+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does the Blue Gill fishing pick up?

Default When does the Blue Gill fishing pick up?

I just got into fly fishing and have been wanting to get out and try some bluegills fishing. There is an area pond that fishes ok. When is a good time to get out there? When are the gills gonna be shallow again and active?

Some of the old timers locally say that when the dandilions start growing the BG's will be in the black bottom bays. I usually start waaaaaaaay too early and just practice my casting until I finally start catching fish!!

Donald

Now is our time in North Texas went out with my son to a pond in the Dallas metroplex and in a 2 1/2 hour period we caught + - 100 BG each, a good majority of them bigger than palm size. Started on nymphs ended on top water (more fun) with black sponge spider with yellow legs. Fantastic.

I agree with Donald on starting early - as soon as the ice leaves a big enough area to cast in, I'll probably try it. In truth the ice should be all out here in central Minnesota in the next week or two! It has also been said that when water temperatures reach 50? F that things start to heat up - I have found this to be fairly accurate since that's usually when I start pulling in more fish!
    -Erik

Ponds warm up and become ice-free much faster (and earlier) than big lakes. So I'd say if your pond is open now, go fishing now. The 'gills will already be in or near the shallows and they'll be active, so tread very lightly and carefully when sneaking the shoreline otherwise you'll spook them away and develop the false impression they're not there. Give 'em hell, Ripper; you can do it.

Joe

"Better small than not at all."

Here in MN they start in March. The beginning of March this year I was drilling through 26" of ice and not catching a lot but they were present. Last Sunday (3/26) I was drilling through 14" of ice and they were feeding heavily. It only gets better from here.
    I am not a big believer in water temps being a trigger as much as daylight hours. Fish know when the time is coming and start feeding appropriately. They may spawn at a certain temp range but if you wait for that you missed most the fun! If your not catching them find deeper water if you can. Right now in my area they are in 5 - 15', being shallower in the low light hours and deeper midday.

When is a good time to get out there? When are the gills gonna be shallow again and active?
    If you live in Florida, right now! Spring and early Summer. Bedding can't be far away if it hasn't already started in some areas. You can catch them here year round except its mighty hard during the heat of Summer.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I live in the Atlanta Georgia area and I catch Bluegill year round. That being said, anywhere from March till June should be pretty good for much of the country. When I went out today, I saw 1/2 inch long fry around the edges so either Crappie or Bluegill jumped the gun a bit with the warm weather we had a shile back. The Bluegill in many of the lakes I fish spawn 3 or 4 times per year here in Georgia.

Jim Smith

Welcome, & WHERE are you located? Helps to know what kind of climate in your locale if we are to answer accurately.
    Mikey

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hey Ripper,

Here on Lake Moultrie in SC our water
    temps are in the low 50's. Weather is
    breaking and I'm seeing a lot of fish
    coming shallow. Some are biting but nothing
    to brag about yet. Another couple of weeks
    should get us near 60 on the water temps and
    the "catching" should catch up with the
    "fishing". Warm regards, Jim

+ Reply to Thread