+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would you spend?

Default How much would you spend?

If a rod company came out with a new rod that was as much better as the new Sage is compared to a Shakespear glass rod of the 60'es What would you be willing to spend to have one. and how long would you wait to get your order?

Rich

Companies will always come out with rods that "are better than any made in prior years". Most of this is hype that they need in order to sell new products which keeps them in business.

Unfortunately for rod builders, unless we do something foolish, our rods don't wear out very fast. I fish 20+ year old rods that still do a great job and probably will continue to do so until I slam them in a car door, mash them into the rocks, or ding a tip with a weighted nymph--ie, I do something to destroy/damage the rod.

I'm also not a rod hound even though I own a fair number. My favorite is a 15 year old Sage RPL 590-4. It's had the tip replaced twice (my fault both times). I see no reason to replace it. I love its action and it matches MY style perfectly, but it most certainly wouldn't be the rod that matched everyone else's style, which is what also helps rod makers sell rods.

So to answer the question, I wouldn't spend anything to jump on the wagon to order the next best rod iteration and I wouldn't be ordering one until I cast someone else's and the rod proved to me it matched me better than what I currently owned.
    Mike

It was custom built by Anderson in Oregon and it cost less than a comparable factory built from Sage. I cast the factories and liked the action of the RPL series which fit my casting style quite well, but I much preferred the looks of the custom and the smaller grip I could get. Also don't like hook keepers on rods so I had that deleted.

No hype in the purchase decision and if a new rod came out that I liked better I'd consider it after casting and determining it met my needs, but I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon because a rodmaker says the product is better. I've cast a lot of "new and improved" rods (their claims, not mine) since purchasing the RPL, but none I'd trade it for.
    Mike

[This message has been edited by RS2 (edited 16 April 2005).]

I think rod prices have topped out, not counting inflation. Seems somewhere in the $500-600 range is the breaking point for most people. Of course there are always people who will pay whatever just to get the "good stuff".

BUT, I think each generation IS actually better. But as has been said many times before, it probably won't make you catch more fish. With the hype, you'd wonder how anybody caught anything 40 years ago! The technology is definitely making nicer casting rods: lighter, more responsive, etc. Just like golf club shafts--the two industries go hand in hand.

There's got to be a point where the differences won't be detectable. How much better can it get and still be more useful? Personally, nothing earth-shattering has happened in a couple years. So I've already reached the point of "good enough". That way I can always get the discontinued stuff that was earth shattering a couple years earlier

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Since I already have my fishing needs covered with Orvis Clearwaters and Silver Labels, I wouldn't spend cent. The Orvis rods meet my fishing needs, suit my casting style and come with a 25 year guarantee. My only anticipated purchases will be to fill in the gaps in my fishing arsenal not duplicate what I already have. For new rods, I plan on a 1 or 2 weight from Cabela's for my birthday this year and a saltwater rod for Florida retirement in a few years. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Folks,
    I don't think you are really addressing what Rich asked.
    He seems to be talking about a definite advance in technology e.i. fiberglass vs graphite. [Now let's not get into the merits of graphite vs glass.]

Good point ducksterman.

My answer:

I already won't spend more than around $300 for a rod so the return on spending more isn't there for me, no matter how much better it is.

I like the question but I am unsure as to my answer.

I had a good friend at the time graphite was introduced. Now mind you this person was an expert. He had been a CEO of a Rod Building company (Japanese) and 5-time tournament-casting champion from the 1950?s. He was in his 80?s at the time.

His comment was that he could cast a Fiberglass rod (8 1/2? 6 wt) 60 feet and a graphite rod 70 feet. He caught most his fish at about 30 feet. He was not impressed with graphite feeling it was a waste of good money.

That being said we all know how well graphite took off. The purchase of a rod is not always embedded in logic.

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

"Just like golf club shafts--the two industries go hand in hand." Golf analogies are not cool.

I would pay $1000 dollars for a rod that was kevlar or something and you could not break it no matter how hard yout tried. You could run it over, beat your children with it, use it in fencing tournaments, whatever you wanted.

+ Reply to Thread