+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flyfishing for Bluegills in NYC/NJ

Default Flyfishing for Bluegills in NYC/NJ

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member but I've been looking at this site for quite some time now. I've learned a lot. I just want to ask if there are members from the NY/NJ area and if they can suggest places where I can fish for big bluegills.

thanks

emikee

I can suggest a few things in NJ. First, go to the NJ Fish, Game, and Wildlife web site. [url=http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/:5f5c3]http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/[/url:5f5c3]

They have a list of places to fish and rate them on different species. However, I don't find their ratings to be the most reliable.

But, here's a few thoughts:

(1) Shepherd Lake. It's an easy drive from NYC in Ringwood State Park and there are boat rentals there. After Memorial Day you will have to share it with a *lot* of swimmers and boaters. You will need to pay an access fee.

(2) Delaware and Raritan Canal. This is no longer used for navigation, but connects the Raritan and Delaware Rivers. There are canoe rentals available. It's now a long, skinny NJ state park.

(3) Amwell Lake. This is small (10 acres maybe). It's in Hunterdon County. Probably an hour's drive from NYC. There is no boat rental, but there is a car top boat launch.

NJ publishes consumption warnings on freshwater fish. Probably not a bad idea to read those.

I think that's all publically available info from the NJFGW website with a few opinions of my own. And just a start.

On Long Island, Suffolk County

Peconic River - DEC Public Access in several places (Best at Forge Pond)

Carmen's River -
    DEC Public Access Upper and Lower Lake
    Carmen's River -
    Southaven Park, Park rules apply

Don't know about Nassau County, the first two above are my normal spots, by kayak or canoe.

I'm in Bergen County and like these:
    Any lake in Ramapo Reservation in Mahwah
    White's Pond, Waldwick
    Darlington Park, Ramsey (catch and release only)
    Contrary to BigFlatBrook, I think Shepherd lake is a mixed bag. Don't get me wrong, it's a good spot, but in spring it gets overrun and you really need a boat (they have rentals) to get to the good water or have room for a back cast. Mid-week and in the fall it's nice though. During prime times, look at a map and head for the smaller and less publicized ponds: you'll find less company and bigger, more willing, and more plentiful fishies.

My cousin who lives in the city and is also afflicted by fly fishing also says the Harlem Meer is more than worth the trouble of getting a central park fishing permit. I think there's info on permits on the NYC TU website or the urban angler store.

Where about in the NY/NJ area? I can tell you from experience here in Suffolk county, they can get pretty big. Not just in the popular places either, like mentioned, there are dozens of places you can fish and catch some of the biggest fish you've seen.

Thanks everyone for your reply. I'm looking for places within an hour or two of Manhattan. I sometimes fish in Kessena lake and Oakland pond in Queens. Where in Long Island would be a good place to go to?

Many, many years ago, before migrating to live the Good Life here in Nebraska, I grew up in NJ. We used to fish Lake Wawayanda, up in a state park in north central NJ. When the 'gills were spawing, that was some great fishing. They used to rent boats. Anyone know if it's still ok there?

There are many small lakes and ponds in the Catskills which are good fishing. Don't know if you have a car, but if you do that is one are to consider.
    jed

bluegill,

Lake Wawayanda is a NJ state park now -- maybe it was then. I can't speak to the bluegill fishing -- and it could be great for all I know. There are hiking trials, and I think a section of the Appalachian Trial runs through the park.

I don't think Lake Wawayanda has boat rentals, but you could launch a canoe there.

+ Reply to Thread