+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: River Rats

Default River Rats

When I go warmwater fishing I love to hit my local rivers, but it seams alot of the warmwater FFing I read here has to do with ponds or lakes. So who here are the hardcore "river rats'? And in case you are jonesin' for some summertime, heres a pic of me and my buddy Bamboo Steve hitting out local goggle eye hole...with cane rods ofcourse

I'm definitely a river runner
    however this time of year I give the fly equipment a break and go for spinning. Got out this past weekend and got some green bass and a smallie. Was very happy for my first outing of the year.

------------------
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW-What a Ride!"
    Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Blog Entries

I have been fishing the Arkansas River here in Tulsa almost every weekend since the first of the year. I have been catching white bass, stripers, hybrids, the occasional spotted bass, and yesterday I caught my first saugeye.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I wish! Although the Platte river and others are somewhat close, they are pretty much sewed up for access due to private property. I hear there are places, and I hope to be able to try them, but the lakes/ponds are so close to work and so easy to get to. . . . .

One of these days!

Don
    Don Rolfson

Idabelangler,

Count me in on the "River Rat" group. I do fish a pond on rare occasions, but most of the time I prefer running water. I try to make it down to your area about 3 times a year for the trout, but I have also fished some of your local streams for bass and goggle eye. I live in Ada, which fortunately for me is is pretty close to some good streams. During the warmer weather, I spend most of my time on the Blue River or Pennington Creek and other small area streams.
    Larry Compton

I'm glad to know there so many locals that enjoy running water.

Canoeman, I really wanna fish Pennington creek some day!

Diddy, Paul we gotta plan a float/camp trip this spring on that river. I got the jon boat ready just gotta charge up the trolling motor.

I'm a river rat and will always be one. It takes alot for me to pass up the rivers for standing water. Down here in middle Ga I am able to fish every month of the year and I am truely thankful for that. I was out saturday fishin with friends new to fishin (hence the spin gear) and got this little fella...

I actually prefer bass to trout. Here in middle Ga I am so blessed that I can catch 6 of the 7 species of black bass (Large mouth, Shoal, Redeye, Suwannee, Spotted, and Smallmouth) within a 3 hour drive either way. I love them bass!

[This message has been edited by PiKapp (edited 06 February 2006).]

Idabelangler, I will supply all the gas, all the beer, and you're welcome to any of my flies when we take that trip.

Hey Canoeman1947, you're a man after my own heart! Now shhhhh, about little creeks with little pressure. See you out there.

While I dearly love lake fishing for big BGs with my 2 wt I'm most lost in my own world when I'm "creek bassin' "! I fish the headwaters of several rivers for smallies around here with a 3 or 4 wt rod. The fish run 10" up to about 17" tops but there sure are a bunch of 'em in the rivers - not to mention the rock bass. I'll also catch a few largemouths but the smallies outnumber them by far. A few of the rivers also have pike in them - they just mess up a good day smallie fishing.

Just curious - what flies do you find most productive in your rivers?

Donald

I am not a river rat, but I may have seen biotmidge fishing. I was in Tulsa the last weekend of January. We went out to the pedestrian bridge over the Arkansas River on Saturday afternoon. Saw about half a dozen folks flyfishing.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread