+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pontoon boat suggestions

Default Pontoon boat suggestions

I am looking to buy my first pontoon boat and want to stay under about $350. I plan to do nothing more than about Catagorie 2 water. I have looked Creek Company's ODC Sport and 816, and the Outcast Fish Cat Streamer. Any comments on any of these three? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

I have an ODC 816 catamaran PIP (personal inflatable pontoon) and have had no problems with it. It has an aluminum frame so its lightweight and less likely to corrode. I do have the older model with padded seat that I like better than the new plastic seat. I did install my own extras (modifications). I added an anchor (10 lb. mushroom) using a U-bolt with a swivel pulley on the center of the cargo deck bar, and an anchor lock (also using two U-bolts) under the seat on one of the frame crossbars and a painted PVC rod holder. They have aftermarket accessories but I put in my own anchor system and rod holder. The lifetime guarantee covers non-metal parts like the pontoons, seat, cargo deck cover, and stripping apron. It comes with a 2-way high capacity pump that does the inflating job quickly and an emergency pontoon patch kit. Fast set-up and takedown. I fish mostly lakes and canals with it. I just got a new set of fins.

I just had it out on the water Friday before last .
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum21/HTML/000456.html:0d8e3]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum21/HTML/000456.html[/url:0d8e3]

I keep a small ice chest (cooler) on the cargo deck and I also use a Fishin Buddy depth finder in a holster strap. If I want, I can carry a small aerated minnow bucket on the cargo deck also.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 10 January 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Once you get into inflatables you start learning about air pumps, how to not over inflate, boston valves, summit valves, then you find you need chest waders, wader booties, and force fins. Force fins are the best. Don't go with the Wal-Mrt cheapies. Sportsmans Warehouse has the Force Fins at $89. I don't know of the perfect "first" pontoon boat to recommend. So I have started off low on the dollar scale.... have started off with the W. W. Griggs "Pontoon Float Tube". This is only $89 at Sportsmans Warehouse and there are those stores in WA state. I don't know how choppy your water will be, how much distance you wanna cover, etc. The Griggs has velcro straps on both pontoons for extra rods, gear pockets, stripping apron, etc. It does not set you as high as a real pontoon boat. But it is higher than a pure float tube. It is shaped the same as the $350 Outcast Super Fat Cat, or the Fishcat 4 at $139 in Cabelas catalog....cept I don't see the extra side velcro straps for spare rods on either of those. Also they look like one bladder (but they may have two). The Griggs is two separate bladders for safety. You can go to [url=http://www.fishinggear.com:95fce]www.fishinggear.com[/url:95fce] and click on "shop for fishing gear" and then click on "Float Tubes" I am referring to the higher priced one...but if you click on the other one you will see a pic insert of how the side straps on the pontoons support a spare rod. I have an 8' Water Skeeter with oars and I like Water Skeeter brand. Some rivers don't allow anything smaller than 8' or 7' boats to fish so that may be a consideration for you. For myself...I would like to have the shortest, lightest, metal frame pontoon boat that has oars. I think some are as small as 5- or 6'. Easy to haul to your truck, to the water, and still a pontoon boat with oars. For sure get the lightest frame if you go small. A lot depends on your needs and intentions. Watch the papers, I got my 8' Water Skeeter with air pump, anchor, oars, and anchor rope for $199 used. Also check out the Cabelas Kamloops...it's sorta the Griggs but longer.

Good Luck

Gem

[This message has been edited by Plain Old Jim (edited 16 January 2006).]

How does the 8' Water Skeeter handle moving water. That company says their boats are for still water.

AlB,
    I just changed my post above to show the real way to go see the Griggs pontoon. I don't know how the 8' Skeeter works on rivers as I have only used it on calm lakes here. Sorry...but bet a lot of other folks have them and would comment. I think you need to pose this question under the first board...Fly Angers....I think maybe more people read it than the Warm Water Board

Gem

I can't speak directly concerning any of the choices you mentioned. I have a Creek Company Jet Pac that handles Class II streams very well. It costs more than the price you mentioned, but I was able to buy it on sale at that price a couple of years ago. It offers the advantage of fitting into a backpack that you can carry up a stream until you arrive at where you would like to get in and float back to the start. The backpack alone is probably worth the extra $75.00 above your mentioned price. A friend of mine who frequently works as a trout guide bought a Creek Company ODC 816 a few years ago and reported he had no difficulty in rapids up to Class II.

Larry Compton

Sounds as though you've got some great crafts in mind...as to which one would suit YOU the best, Well that only you can decide.

Depends on how much time you plan on piutting into setup time once your where you want to be..if your going to have it inflated when you arrive..then I guess any of the above would do you well...Most these days come with all the goodies.

I do like mine and that it keeps me well above the water for sight fishing...I use a hard pontoon and need not worry of inflating but I have the space for storing such a craft...and for transporting...wholely setup..although it does break down rather manageable if need be...

If you can or have not ,Try and find a place or friend where you might be able to barrow or atleast get hands on experience with the setup and take down
    . Before buying if thats possible....They are alot of fun!
    Hope you find the right rig for you!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread