+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1wt limitations

Default 1wt limitations

Ok you ultra - ultra light warm water fishers.

I would think the 1wt would be limited in the size fly's you throw and distance. My 3 wt will cast size 8-18 no problem. I don't get much smaller than 18 YET .

Do you overline them, and what is the biggest fly you cast with it?

I enjoy ultra light fishing when ever possible, but the 1 wt, I still have to be convinced.

Warm regards from the Tundra south of Buffalo.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Philip,

I can't speak about one weights because I don't own one---yet. Maybe in another hour or two (see the thread about Hyde's warmwater article.

I fished all summer with a Cabela's 7 foot, #2 weight and found I could throw pretty much anything that I wanted to for brim with a little practice and small changes in my casting stroke. I'm not a great caster by any means (in fact many think I'm dangerous to all living things within casting range) but I could throw #12, #10, and even #8 gurgle pops thirty or forty feet. I also don't go much for flies under size 16 for brim because of their tendency to get hooked too deeply. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

I own a Cabela's clear creek 1wt. It came with 1wt line (combo deal). With the 1wt line, it was easy, as expected to cast dries, small streamers, but harder to cast heavier beadhead nymphs and wolly buggers. Small poppers like miss prissies were real hard to cast decently. Since for warmwater its necessary to use these larger flies, I decided to overline with 2wt line. I got some Cabelas Prestige Plus 2wt line, and it casts beautifully. Now I can cast miss prissies with very little problem, and can even cast small poppers with dropper flies too.

I own a Cabela's clear creek 1wt. It came with 1wt line (combo deal). With the 1wt line, it was easy, as expected to cast dries, small streamers, but harder to cast heavier beadhead nymphs and wolly buggers. Small poppers like miss prissies were real hard to cast decently. Since for warmwater its necessary to use these larger flies, I decided to overline with 2wt line. I got some Cabelas Prestige Plus 2wt line, and it casts beautifully. Now I can cast miss prissies with very little problem, and can even cast small poppers with dropper flies too.

my Sage SLT one weight will handle #10 fly with ease. had trouble at first but after a few hours on the water I did just fine. However, it does not like weighted flies
    any larger than a #14. I can get thirty feet with a large fly if I want to.

OG,
    We have an "ought" (0wt).
    We do overline it.
    We do toss bass bugs about the size of a quarter with it on occasion.
    We DO use extreme caution when pulling victims from the weeds.
    We seldom follow recommended limitations....
    .....lee s.

lee s, what's this WE stuff? You got a mouse in your pocket?

Don (all in jest!)
    Don Rolfson

Howdy, Geezer!

I rigged my 1-wt Clear Creek exactly like ccabal did his. In other words, I overlined it. I even use the same brand of line he does.

However, last week I ordered a spool of 1-wt double taper from Yager's Flies in Lawrence. When that order comes in, I'll "de-line" the WF-2-F and re-line my reel for the sake of experimentation.

As for the flies I've been casting, so far it's been mostly #10 Hare's Ear Nymphs. I had some difficulties with the #10 HEN because it's a heavy nymph for a 1-wt, but I'm not sure if the difficulties were really caused by the high wind that was blowing both days I went fishing. Boy, do I hate high wind; it can gust in mid-cast and wrap you real good.

Sunday afternoon I switched from the #10 HEN to a Pheasant Tail Nymph that was tied and given to me by Rick Zieger. I think the PTN was a size #12 nymph, but not sure. I found that Rick's nymph settled through the water column about like a #10 HEN does. It certainly caught 'gills and bass just as readily as the Hare's Ear, but was easier for me to cast.

Why that happened I'm not sure, but it might be that Rick uses hooks made of lighter metal? And possibly it's a matter of his PTN's narrower body having less dubbing than a factory #10 HEN. Being narrower, his nymph would soak up less water during the retrieve, thereby making it lighter while in flight. Whatever the reason, using Rick's PTN resulted in casts that laid out straighter for me.

As for casting distance, probably 30 feet is my maximum. I don't need a lot of distance because my canoe lets me sneak in pretty close to any chosen target zone. If I was strictly a cast-from-the-bank fisherman, it's doubtful I would ever use a 7-ft. rod regardless of its weight designation. But my opinion is biased due to the great success I have fishing from a canoe.

Joe

"Better small than not at all."

Don,
    My tripple X T-shirts are made for "we".
    When I blow up a float-tube, there's enough air for "we".
    If I don't sit in the middle of the pram, "WE" get very close to the water.
    This is a 12# bass ( ) "WE" pestered... [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/CIMG1111.jpg:34d53]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/CIMG1111.jpg[/url:34d53]
    And you know how it is when the bride says "WE" gotta clean the garage!

Lee s , Did you get'im one the 1 wt.

I would think something around 8' on a 1 wt would be optimum for an average caster. I like the tfo 8'6' 3wt pro I bought Michele over the 7'6" 3wt I have. It lays line out there and alot softer landing with the fly. I have to learn not to muscle so early and be more gracefull during the transitions.

I need all the info I can get.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

+ Reply to Thread