+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: is anyone on the board using 1 wt for panfish?

beedleech, RW here

Just noticed your further questions to me. Yes I have the Clear Creek and a 2 wt. Hardy
    cane banty that I use for panfish, trout and smallies. I have no trouble casting up to size 10 flies with it.

I use the Orvis 1 wt. line, and have a spare spool for my little Hardy fly weight reel that I overline with a Cortland 2wt. Peach.
    I also just noticed that Cortland (my favorite line)makes a 1 weight line, which I intend to purchase forthwith.

I've said this many times to wiseacres over the years who call it a toy, but just for the record, I've never felt outgunned with my 1-weight for the fish I generally fish for. All comment, inuedno, snide remarks, and opinion aside about 1-weighters, fly-fishing is a "to each his own" kinda sport.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 15 December 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

My wife likes my 1 wt as well, even tho she most often uses her 5 wt as I said before. Her first casts were on my 1 wt. Next Spring we will see how much she really likes it and might just purchase her own 1 wt. A toy it is not. It is a fun tool that I use and enjoy immensely. Anyone in my area wants to try it out is surely welcome to do so.

RW - tks for additional information. If the rod will handle a #10 fly it'll do what I want it to do! A problem that turned up on the channels I fished was that my 2 wt is an 8' rod. With the overhanging trees and the pontoon boats docked in the channels it was often difficult to use the 8' rod. Clearance was a problem at times and frankly the 2 wt doesn't cast short all that well. I suppose overlining it would help but the 1 wt would be a funner option!! <G>

Gardenfish - I think I've found a flyshop that has the TXL series in stock sorta "in the area" but I don't hold out much hope that the [ahem] CEO will buy my story that I really, really need the rod.

Donald

+ Reply to Thread