+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is anyone on the board using 1 wt for panfish?

Default is anyone on the board using 1 wt for panfish?

If so, what rod and/or blank? Is wind a huge problem? What about fly size? I've been using a 3 wt for several years and am wondering if dropping to 1 wt is practical.

Tks for any insite you may be able to offer.

Donald

Beadleach,

I tried an Orvis Superfine 1wt. a few years back,And I concluded that it just did not have the backbone and versatility that I need in my fishing...If your soley going to fish small flies and not demand casting over 30 to 50 ft... You just might like em alot..I am not of the type that can restrict myself as to one small catagory of fly sizes and pattern types at any given time on the water..a three wt. is about as small as I will go..I do own several 2wts that I enjoy though,But I always have a second rod nearby....

Oh, That superfine, It kinda broke while casting a spinner'd Minner type fly...lol..was trying for my forth fish with that fly thoe...lol..It was not the rods fault...I took sole responcability when I returned that rod to Orvis..and they still gave me a full refund...guess it really does pay to be honest and forthright...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 10 December 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Love, love my Sage 181-3 SLT. I use it for bluegill, small bass, rainbow trout and cutthroat trout. My largest fish was a 13" cutthroat, a lovely fish that I hauled out of the river with no problem. THere are several manufacturers of 1 wts. I know that Elkhorn and Sage have them. Check out their websites. Some folks say these rods are toys, but mine is strong and well made. I fish mostly on the river and have no problem punching a #10 fly 30-40 ft. The rod is a dandy for a #14 fly. It is okay in a breeze, but I move up to my trusty 3 wt when it gets windier. Go for it and have a blast.

[This message has been edited by Gardenfish (edited 10 December 2005).]

Hi Donald,

I had been gradually working my way down
    toward a one weight here on the Santee
    Cooper Lakes of SC. But I found when I got
    down to a two weight, it was marginal for my
    fishery. I even broke a little two weight
    cane fishing for red eared sunfish. I went
    back to a three weight for my fishery and
    love that size rod. I often have two three
    weights rigged while fishing and find them
    ideal for me on my waters. Anything less is
    sometimes problematic, and anything heavier
    is less fun. It's three weights for me.
    Warm regards, Jim

boy - that was quick.

I didn't know Elkhorn made 1 wts. I'll check 'em out. Has anyone fished one? The sage is more than I want to spend right now - expecally for a limited use rod.

Jim - the 3 wt has been my favorite for several years now and I have lakes where I'd feel undergunned with less rods also. But I also have small lakes, lakes with channels, and small creeks where I think I could use less rod and have more fun, perhaps. But I have seen some of your photos!

bill - I've "handled" other superfines than the 1 wt and I'm not really fond of the action. Some people really like them.

Really appreciate the thoughts expressed and am open to any othere!! <G>

Donald

[This message has been edited by beadleech (edited 10 December 2005).]

After being on FAOL awhile and reading exploits with the 1 wts that sort of became a dream of mine. This summer a fishing partner let me use his and I was less than impressed and happy to have been spared the price of one. I am building a 3 wt, though, and am looking forward to using it this summer. JGW

beadleech, RW here

I've been fishing a 1-weight almost exclusively for about 2 years. Should note that I fish headwaters and small streams for brookies and ponds for panfish and smallmouth bass almost 99 percent of the time. For the few steelhead trips I go on I use a 6-weight. I've had no trouble playing and landing smallies up to 4-pounds on my 1-weight and at no time did I ever feel outgunned. I'm 70 and have never broken a rod in my life and I've fished since boyhood.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 10 December 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

YES!!

I have the Sage SPL 1wt. Wonderful rod..par none!

I've used flies up to #10 on it for panfish. Last summer I tagged a 6 1/2 lb. largemouth while doing some topwater fishing for panfish.

One wts. are wonderful tools for panfish. You'll love 'em.

I'm not familiar with other blanks Donald, as I haven't looked around much but it seems you have other prospects here.

Be sure to find a good line suited to your model of choice though or you may be disappointed. Lines are VERY important.

Jeremy.

Jeremy.

I don't even use a 3 weight. A four weight is as light as I wan't to go. I find that it's no fun to cast most of the bugs I use on the lighter line weights. In fact, I often use a 7 weight glass rod for panfish. A 3/4 lb. bluegill makes a good account of himself, even on a 7 weight.

RW - If I remember your previous posts corrtectly you use the Cabela's Clear Creek don't ya? Do you use a 1 wt line on it? If so, is it the clear creek line? What size flies will the rod handle? Sorry to have so many questions. What I'm starting to see is that the Sage is a heck of a rod but I don't think I want to sink that much into a new rod 'til I find out of I'll be able to use it enough to warrent it. I fish mainly for creek smallies and BG so I imagine out fishing may be quite similiar with the exception that I fish a lot of small 100-200a lakes for the panfish, not ponds. I do have access to 2 or 3 ponds that I fish early in the year as they're too weed filled later in the year. Hope you don't mind all the questions. <G>

Donald

+ Reply to Thread