+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: leeches for bluegills

Default leeches for bluegills

I've been thinking of tying some small leeches to use for bluegill and was wondering if others are doing the same and if so what is working for you- colors, sizes and materials? Thanks

------------------
    David K. Spencer

David, while my favorite BG flies are spiders both weighted and not, on a whim the other week I tied a small marabou leech in black with a dark black, purple, blue or red glass bead head on a size 12 hook. The tail was at least as long as the hook past the bend.Black thread. Super glue on knot behind bead. It was SHREDDED in one session on a local pond! Now it is a tail-less stump. Pre-shredded length was about an inch and an eighth long with a quarter inch diameter. The marabou actually came off of a craft store purchase of black hackle feathers sewn together as a yard long feather fringe thing for costume making. I was using the hackles to tie spiders and while plucking them from the long strip and prepping them for tying, I noticed that there was a very short poofy feather right at the base of the hackle that makes a great leech tail and body wrap. It gives more action on the body than chenille would or the stifffer hackle fibers. You might try bunny strips but they would probably need to be sliced very short and narrow to get the mini-leech effect you're after. I know I'll be doing up several dozen this winter. Once I tie on a new to me fly I'll drag it back and forth in front of me before fishing it to get the sink rate and swim of that particular fly as I'm sure most folks do if they don't do the sink or bathtub test. Good luck! Hope this description is clear enough. If not let me know and I'll tie another up and take a pic of it up close.

Steve

------------------
    I fish, therefore I swam.

[This message has been edited by featherchucker (edited 02 December 2005).]

I have done them with marabou, crow body feather, and boa yarn. Black, white, purple and yellow have been the best for me.

Rick

Dave,

Small leeches are one of my go-to flies for bluegill. I have found the most effective pattern for me is a simple black mohair leech tied with black mohair yarn and a black marabou tail. I tie these on size 10 or 12 hooks in both weighted or non-weighted. I sometimes add a small red glass beadhead or a small plastic orange bead that is commonly used by bait fishermen to peg their floats. Great pattern, super easy to tie and very effective.

Jim Smith

Thanks guys for all your help. I can't wait to try this.

------------------
    David K. Spencer

Chicago Leech -

Hook - #8-12, 3XL
    Tail - marabou, short [about 1/4-3/8" long] with 4-6 short copper flashabou strands.
    Body - Mohair yarn, twisted on and combed out.
    Weight - brass or gold beadhead, sized to hook. If less weight is wanted use glass bead or lay lead wire under mohair body instead of brass bead.
    Colour - black, olive, white [on white leeches use "rainbow pearl" flashabou].

Use black 75-80% of the time.

Donald

If you tie a Gill Buster with black zonker on a size 10 or 12 hook, you have a right cool imitation of a leech. This fly has caught almost every warmwater species except for crappie, but has so in white not black. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 02 December 2005).]

JGW;

That there Gill Buster in white was catching me some Crappie just before it turned cold and iced up this fall. I have about a dozen ready and waiting for spring now.

Don
    Don Rolfson

God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

That's the one. I use mainly black, and don't be fearful of tying those with beadchain eyes, either. Not quite so "jiggy." White are excellent for walleye in rivers, crappies in spring in the shallow bays. I"ve tied them with olive and yellow that are excellent for LMB and smallies. But black takes 'em all. Bluegill on down. JGW

+ Reply to Thread