+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What a day!

Default What a day!

Friday was opening day for deer season in Illinois, I only started hunting a couple years ago, this is my second year for deer. I downed my first deer: an 8-point, average sized buck. I kept the tail and a little hide to make some bass flies. But that wasn't the highlight of the day. It was a sunny, 60-degree day, so I thought I'd try the shallows in the nearby pond that I always fish. I tied on a hair head, zonker strip fly, I think it's called Dave's Hairwater Pup, in dark olive. You guessed it, a personal best on any tackle, 23" long, 14" girth LMB. I had never broke the 20" barrier out of this pond. According to the charts, that's 6+ pounds. Hopefully I'll meet up with her again next spring! What a day!

Jeff, that sure beats our wild turkey story. My buddy shot a 23 lb. tom on our farm, and I ripped off one of those florscent breast feathers for a fly, and tagged a five pound largemouth. It wasn't my turkey but it was sure a lot of fun having a doubleheader like that. JGW

I don't hunt, but I sure am impressed with both your days! Good job(s)!!!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

Way to go Jeff, on the deer and the bass.

I once shot a limit of mallards and a limit of Canadas in the morning. Then slipped out got a limit of roosters and still caught a mess of crappie in the pm. I refer to that as the day I bagged the 'Iowa Grand Slam'.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Stop and buy a lottery tickt while your at it. Ya never know

great day with great memories

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

+ Reply to Thread