+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noon in the snow

Default noon in the snow

Went out at noon in a snow storm. But I am not addicted.

Got 7 crappie and one gill before the line got to stiff to cast.

Rick

Blog Entries

Shoot, I'm not nuts.. comparatively..

I'm a half a state east and I caught my ten in "intermittent" showers, 41 degrees. Keep thinking everyday will be my last.

p.s. Just went out to feed the dogs. Snowing here, now..g

[This message has been edited by HideHunter (edited 15 November 2005).]
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Rick,
    I am new to the bulletin board, but have been reading your articles for awhile (and they have helped me alot in panfishing). I am curious of how you got those crappie and bream to strike your fly in a snow storm. Do you have any good winter techniques?? Here in Alabama the best i have done in winter is strip a #8 royal coachmen-wet, over the edge of a mud flat, and picked up a couple of bream on the deep side. But, as you probably know, it doesnt get very cold (hasnt snowed in the past two years). Thanks for any help

ben

Ben, move north. You have no clue what you're missing. Tonight 40 mph gusts, blizzard conditions. Howling like a hungry wolf. You southern folks are really missing out on a good life, I tell you!!!! I mean, I'd love being out there tonight with my 8 weight flinging for crappies and shallow walleyes, but for some darned reason there's a wind advisory. Heck the water is only 45 degrees. What's this world coming to? JGW

Haha- and i am called crazy for fishing in 50 degree weather(no wind)!! Our water temperatures are boiling, compared to yours!! ----About moving north, I'm not good at tolerating cold temperatures, I like my sweat. Haha. But you win in that its colder up north and your still catching more fish than I do down here in the warmer section!!

Ben

I was fishing very slowly and fairly deep.
    Most of the time I think you wuld probably need to slow down. I was slowly moving the line about 1-2 inches and then waiting for 3-4 seconds before moving it again.

Rick

i live next door to ben in east central mississippi and have almost no winter and i can't catch a fish either except in the spring when any fool can catch them. i have even used some of rick's flies that he mailed me to no avail. i guess it is still better than golf or i can start deer hunting with the other rednecks this saturday??

Rick

Bet you caught them all on a bugger.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

What's a bugger. Used a yellow leech type fly using some of the old style SAAP Body Fur.

Rick

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Rick,

I love the snow if the water isn't too cold. Aside from the beauty and the incredible quiet, it really thins the ranks of the other anglers. If you find someone else out, make friends. You can learn a lot---they're dedicated. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

+ Reply to Thread