+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WW fishing in Springfield, MO and NE Oklahoma

Default WW fishing in Springfield, MO and NE Oklahoma

Next month, I'm going to be visiting relatives in Springfield, MO and NE Oklahoma for a couple of weeks. That's my original home, but I haven't lived there in many years.

I know a little about Missouri trout fishing and have had some great times doing that on previous visits.

But ... would anyone have recommendations for warm-water fly fishing opportunities in that area? I know about Table Rock lake, the Oklahoma reservoirs and so on, but I'm not interested in the large lake power-boat experience.

Bluegill and bass would be my choice of gamefish. Carp would likely be too tough for me, and I have no experience in that department.

NE Oklahoma has some excellent smallmouth fishing in the small creeks and streams near the Arkansas line.

Would one of those small Oklahoma streams be named Flint Creek?

Blog Entries

Flint Creek is one, there is also Baron Fork, Spavinaw Creek, and the Illinois River in NE Oklahoma. My favorite smallmouth stream is across the Missouri line, Elk River and it's tributaries, Indian Creek, Big Sugar Creek, and Little Sugar Creek. If you are interested in small lakes, Pawhuska Lake and Hominy Lake both have good populations of big bluegills and redears, as well as bass.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I haven't been there in many years but there is a little lake just north of Springfield called Fellows Lake that offers some good fishing...at least it did for me several years ago. There is (was) a small marina where you could rent a small boat to get around in.

I thank you for those suggestions, and I'm looking into all of them.

Is your preference to fish for gills and bass? There's always Crane Creek just south of Sprgfld or Capp's Creek near Monett for trout. I'm planning on trying to get down to Capp's Creek next spring. I gotta try my luck with them NON-wild trouts there.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 23 August 2005).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Biot Midge and I should go fishing sometime...

I second all of his advice. My home water was Spavinaw Creek growing up, with the Elk river a more notable second. Access is always an issue on streams that are not navigable, so a canoe float down the Elk River might be in order. 3 weeks ago, the river above Noel, Mo was pretty low. I floated from Noel to the highway 43 bridge and had a 40+ fish day (smallmouth). All caught on the E-Z hopper, a FOTW recently. They might still be rising in a few weeks and the recent rains there would facilitate a 2 day trip - one day above Noel and another below.

Blog Entries

MOturkE,
    No wild trout in Capps Creek, only stockers. Crane Creek does have wild rainbows but it is recovering from several years of drought conditions, so they may be few and far between.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

There is are a lot of WW rivers & creeks to fish near Springfield. The Niangua above Bennett Springs is good, the James, and the Finley are worth a shot too. If you can locate a copy of Chuck Tryon's "200 Missouri Smallmouth Adventures" you'll have plenty of places to explore. Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread