+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fatigue & rod weight

Default fatigue & rod weight

I've seen mentioned on more than one occasion that casting a rod weighing just a few ounces causes fatigue and arm or back pain in some folks. This is frequently mentioned about bamboo. I'm 52 years old and the easiest thing I ever get to do, next to reading, is cast a fly rod and I can tell no difference between bamboo, graphite or glass, regarding fatigue. I get tired on the creeks same as anyone else. Concentration, hiking and stumbling around on the rocky bottoms of creeks causes my fatigue.

I fully understand how old injuries, surgeries or arthritis can be aggravated by casting so I'm not talking about that. How many of you guys wear out or suffer arm or back pain from casting?

Vic

I have an old Orvis golden eagle glass 8wt that is a casting machine. Unfortunately it weighs in at a whopping 7.5 oz. I like to use it but never for a full day, It's much too heavy.

When I fish the salt I like to use a 10 wt. It powers a cast out into the wind much better than a lighter rod. But even the slight weight difference between a 9 and 10wt is very noticable. When i use the 10wt I wear an elastic wrist brace, with the 9wt I do not.

------------------
    "Nick's heart tightened as the trout moved. He felt all the old feeling" ...Ernest Hemingway
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Sharps,
    My problems didn't start until I neared 70 years old. With the aid of a wading staff, I can wade for up to a couple of hours without too much trouble. I've had to modify my casting quite a bit though, and I do most of my fishing with slow to moderate three and one weights. Over the counter "pain killers" help my shoulder and arm pains but prescription stuff helps a lot more, giving me about five hours fishing on a good day.

I havn't fished with bamboo in years. but as you mention, I can't see where there would be much difference between bamboo, glass and graphite. I tire more rapidly with my six and nine weights than my one and three so the weight of the outfit, IMHO is the culprit.

I hope that you continue to have good fishing without these problems...and you might! I know an old pilot, still fishing, and he's well into his 80s. And he hangs out in the tree tops for days during the deer season. But he's the exception rather than the rule.

Ol' Bill

8-21
    Gotta toot my own horn a little here.
    Fished yesterday morning till about 1230pm then went to the Catskill Flytiers Guild picnic where I won the casting to the target contest. Average of three casts at 35 ft distance 6.3 inches! Dang! How luckey can I get? I tok most of the tippet off so the wind wouldn't have so much of an effect! Bet I won't get away with that next year though. Pain Killers wore off while fishing in the evening but I was still casting (but not catching) Allan caught over 30 fish...largest over 17 inches.

Hey, there were some respectable casters in that contest too!

Ol Bill

[This message has been edited by snipe (edited 21 August 2005).]

I'm a fairly Young man,And have worked with steel all my life.I'm used to heavy labor,but your not going to tell me that you see no difference's between casting say an 8' 3wt. graphite for three hours and, Casting a 9' 8wt. Bamboo for three hours.

I've been there and done it and was an even younger and stronger man than I am now. So yes,There very much is "casting" fatigue differences from outfit to outfit,of differing wts./lengths/Material's.

Have you ever cast a 9' 8wt Bamboo for 16 hrs...?. That weighs in pounds when fully rigged as opposed to mere oz's..I somehow doubt it.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 12 August 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Yes, I will tell you, again, that I notice no difference among the differing rod materials, nor do I experience fatigue. And, no, I've not cast anything for 16 hours. Fishing is fun for me, not a marathon or endurance test. I have no need for a 9 wt. nor do I intend to ever have a need for anything heavier than my 7 wt. If you choose to spend 16 hours on the water heaving a rod that heavy, good for you and I hope you caught lots of big fish. I have no doubt that would tire anyone. That isn't my interest nor what I was referring to. I specifically mentioned rods weighing in the ounces, not pounds. You are evidently among those who like to take things out of context and apply your beliefs to them. One should read and understand fully before making a comment, especially an irrelevant one. Your experience with and opinions on a rod that heavy do not interest me in the least.

I've worked construction all my life and still cut approximately 10 cords of wood a year as we heat with wood, and, just keeping the dead stuff cleaned up requires it. I still buck bales in the summer helping my friends and neighbors so I'm no stranger to work. You aren't the only person in the world who has to work hard for a living.

Vic

I was well within the confines of what you were implying,That rods of differing wts and material comps, Were exactly the same in hand.

And they are not!...not in any way,shape or fourm.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Ok...I'll limit it to rods below 7 wt. which is the weights I was wondering about anyway and should have so stated. I've never had the need for anything over that and most fly fishermen probably don't either. My error for not stating what rod weights I was curious about.

I don't suffer from fatigue with any them nor do I have any arm or back pains. Sure they cast different, I didn't say they didn't nor did I imply they were the same in hand. You said that. I said I couldn't tell any difference between glass, bamboo or graphite regarding fatigue and I don't.

From now on you gonna have to argue with yourself.

Vic

------------------
    There is no right way to do a wrong thing

[This message has been edited by Sharps (edited 13 August 2005).]

hmmmm...I wonder if a rod with a different action would be of benefit to you? Just thinking.

Sharps, RW here

I switched to a 1 weight almost exclusively for my fishing the last two years and I can cast all day every day without any problems. When I use my 6 weight, let's say, and cast for any amount of time, my hand and elbow aches like a toothache that night, and I still have discomfort the next day.

Yeah, I know I'm gettin old, and Arthur has been giving me trouble for some years now. Had to give up golf, bowling, etc. But my switch to the 1-weight, and my little 2 weight cane rod, have given my arm new life. Also, I don't find that I catch any fewer of the kinds of fish I enjoy fishing for (small stream brookies, panfish and smallmouth bass) than I did with the heavier weight rods. On the contrary, I have more fun catching them.

From last year until the present I've taken 10 smallies in the 4-pound class with the 1-weight, and all the smaller ones I catch are a lot more fun....and my arm is a lot happier. Those ultra-light rods have a lot more guts than most folks think. Besides, if you know how to play a fish, it's really the tippet strength you use that is the deciding factor of whether you are going to land it or not. A 5X tippet, for instance, will break with the same amount of strain on it whether you are using a 1-weight or a 9-weight.

P.S. I never did have any back problems from casting so I can't speak to that subject.

Sharps, one more thing...."Life is a series of adjustments." .......Sigh.

Hmm, I just made that up, but it's so true.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 16 August 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

In the lower weight rods, I don't think it makes much difference...at least it doesn't to me.

Related to age, I ran into a 75 years young fellow a couple of years ago on a bonefish flat in Long Island Bahamas.

It can be done and I for one hope to be doing the same thing as that fine fellow.

+ Reply to Thread