+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: High End-Low End or in the Middle?

After looking things over, it seems I willing to spend about $400 for an outfit.

I have two moderates and one low, clustering around $400, plus a couple of cheap $40 rods.

I doubt I will ever get into your high-end range.

RW here,

I've never paid more than $100 bucks for a rod and never will. I do, however, pay top dollar for the best lines they make. Moderate priced rods cast just as well as high end rods and if you want to fool yourself into thinking they don't well so be it. What you're really paying for is all these lifetime guarantees these rod makers have painted themselves into a corner with.

I really like the Air Force Officer's bomb example that EightThumbs gave in his post. It hits the nail right on the head.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 26 July 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

RW,
    I agree totally! While I do have rods that cost a good bit more than $100.00, they really don't outfish the $70.00 St Croix I broke. Function is what it's all about & you can get a whole lotta function without spending a whole lotta money! Unfortunately, a friends flyshop just went out of business & he is holding a TFO Ticr 9" 6 wt for me...I got it new for $120.00, & it's a $200.00 rod. I will be buying another TFO as the young man I was Confirmation Sponsor (Catholic) for loves to fish, has no outfit, & they had some TFO $90.00 rods marked down 40% (56 bucks!)...if they have any left, Gabe is gonna get "schooled" in flyfishing.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

The finest casting rod that I ever had the pleasure to put in my hands, was a Gatti FRHP. There was a big difference between that and my $100 SCPG and my 15 year old Sage DS2 and my 30 year old Fenwick glass rod. But then, what the hell do I know?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Definitely low-end here. I simply don't have the discriminating palette to appreciate the more refined, delicate gear of the High-Enders. I've caught a lot of fish with my under $200 complete (rod, reel, line, backing, etc,) outfits. But it is painfully apparent that I am far to Neanderthal to understand/appreciate the advantages of $1000+ gear. However, should I ever become an equipment manufacturer or salesman, then I am sure I would develop a very great appreciation for the need, absolute need, of high-end gear.

Low road to middle road. I use St. Croix, Redington, Yellowstone, March Brown and Winston rods in various weights. 85% of the rods I now own are travel rods because they pack nicely on my 1200 Sporty. I've given away some of my 2 piece rods rods to friends and relatives because I rarely use them anymore.

One rod I bought a couple of years ago had mixed reviews but it turned out to be a real workhorse, a 5 wt. Cabela's Stowaway. It's easy to cast and I keep it strapped on the bike ready to go. Of course I really like my other rods but this one was a nice surprise for the money.

[This message has been edited by Jtaylor (edited 28 July 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread