+ Reply to Thread

Thread: good assortment?

Default good assortment?

I am considering purchasing a smallmouth fly assortment to add to my vest. I noticed a decent set of flies that I dont have from feather craft. The set includes to of each of the following flies:
    wool-head sculpin
    pearl shiner
    whitlocks nearnuff crayfish
    sneaky pete
    stalcup crazy dad
    bills crayfish
    bead head rubber leg bugger
    3 clouser minnows
    1fly box The total for all of this is 50 dollars. I am not sure if it is worth it or not, because I am not that experienced with buying assortments and all that other stuff. The only flies that I can make from the set are the wolley buggers, so I think that it would be a good set to add. Also to keep you posted, I have not tried for any smallies lately (rain) but I did manage to catch 2 bluegill the other day from a small pond. The fish were caught on a white popper with a small nymph dropper. It was pretty fun, wish I coulda caught some more, but I only had limited time before I got hit with rain. So tell me what you think about this assortment and if it is worth the $?

It had better be a pretty fancy box! Seems very high to me.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Smallie14, a suggestion:

Look at Hills:
    [url=http://www.hillsdiscountflies.com:12aa2]http://www.hillsdiscountflies.com[/url:12aa2]

Great quality flies, low prices, top notch service and I'm sure you'll save some money.

------------------
    Joe

Seems very high to me too. What are the chances, since you already tie wooly buggers, that you could spend some time learning to tie other flies too? The ones listed are all fairly easy to tie, and wouldn't require a whole lot of materials.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

anyone wanna give me a few tips on the flies that I mentioned? Especially the sneaky pete, I have a couple premade popper heads, but I dont wanna put them on a hook only to not tie it properly. Also, if there are any of the flies listed that can be substituted for easier to fish and tie please mention I am open to any advice at all

You'd be well off,To purchace a copy of Dick Stewarts book: Flies for bass and Panfish...it's only about 12.95 I think and it'll get you off to a great start....
    I think cabela's has it..Prolly [url=http://www.hookhack.com:a6de3]www.hookhack.com[/url:a6de3] too.
    Or..perhaps go to the fly swaps and start a smallie swap...you can tye up some of those Wooly Buggers for it....and others will hop on the chance to tie the others for sure...Just a thought...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

There is somewhere on the site where bugs AND instructions are given.......VERY useful. Try hitting the "Fly Tying" spot on the side with your mouse thingie.

I second Dick Stewart's book. It has a lot of great ideas in it from around the country. There are a lot of easy patterns.

The price of that combo seems pretty high. You could probably shop around for individual flies and pay the same amount but get a few flies of each. The most I have seen any one of flies cost is four dollars and most are a lot less than that. I find that with combos you are paying mostly for the box
    Your hooks sharp????

Smallie - In my experience "assortments" are rarely very good. You don't know the sizes involved and/or have no choice in the matter. There's a vast difference in the size flies you want for "creek bass" and the Susky River in Pa!

I fished for smallies from 9AM to Noon today - caught a total of 14 fish and all on two flies. The flies were a wet spider with long leggy legs and a BLT. Also caught several rock bass. Actually the woolly bugger is a really good place to start. Buy your poppers - IMHO it's rarely cost effective to try to make them [exception: foam bugs]. Buy/tie some hairy nymphs in size 10 or 8 [hares ears, red squirrel nymph, etc]. I'll bet you can find both of them on the Fly Tying portion of this board.

It's not really about the # of patterns you carry but presenting those you have effectively.

The price also seems to be very high to me.

Just my $.02 worth.

Tite lines.

Donald

+ Reply to Thread