+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite Smallmouth Rod

Default Favorite Smallmouth Rod

Would be interested to learn from the members what their go to rod is in places like the Susquehanna or CA Delta. Dave

Don't know the area, but I fish a 6 wt. Elkhorn rod for smallies. Great for poppers and can cast a mile and a half (for me)

jed

Normally, I fish a 8 1/2' 5 wgt on my local creek. When I fish the Susquehanna later this summer I'll be using a 9'6 wgt.

I've got two i use for smallies, both 9'. one 8 wt and one 6 wt, depending on the fly, and conditions I'm facing.

Dear spike,

Here on the Susquehanna I use a Sage 4 piece 9' RPLXi 8 weight for smallmouth. I tend to fish larger flies than most people. When I smallmouth fish a size 6 is the equivalent of a size 24 midge to a trout fisherman.

In fact I use that rod for almost all of my warm water fishing, panfish included. Most of the places I warm water fish are very weedy this time of year and they often have larger bass and pickerel in them too. I hate losing flies and fish because the rod doesn't have the starch to keep the fish from running into the salad.

The only time I use something lighter is in my buddy's pond where I know the only other fish are slimers*. Even then I usually use a 5 or a 6 weight because I often fish double and triple fly rigs for panfish.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

* for those that don't know a "slimer" is what us smallmouth and walleye guys call trout.

spike,
    When we do the delta we are usually targeting stripes. We USED to toss the five a bit early when the fish are small. It will handle our fav popper and a 3 1/2" deceiver just fine. Our heavy rod at the time was a 7wt. After winning and aquiring a 9wt and a 10wt we use them MUCH more.....especially around the orchards in Mildred. Though not a chore on the 7wt, LC and big bugs are much easier on them (9wt & 10wt).
    In open water at L. Shasta we still use the 5 a LOT for the spots and stuff in there.
    We use the 10 a LOT for largemouth in the POOP. In the poop it's ALL in the grab and on top.....no real fight in 10# of weeds!
    Got a trip scheduled with KD for LM's on the delta at the end of July.....yahoooo! He'll learn us about them things, for sure. Especially "RATTIN' the matts".
    .....lee s.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 30 June 2005).]

My St Croix 8 wt Legend Ultra would be my choice, especially for large rivers. I base this choice on fly size & river size. Believe me, you WILL feel a stream/river smallie!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread