+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bustin bass

Default Bustin bass

I was able to get out today to hit a local bass lake. Hit several nice bass and a few decent blue gill to boot.

Then I got stupid. Real stupid. Was fishing my 7 wt in the thick pads and got hung up. Instead of pointing the rod at the fly and pulling on the line I rear back on the rod and CRACK there goes the but section. Broke it in two places. Thank god for lifetime "I'm a dumba## warranties. The rod is already on the way back to St. Croix for a new blank. Then I'll have to put it all back together again.

I did that once myself. Personally, I believe that when that happens there is some defect in the rod or maybe it was "traumatized" at some point and it just broke at the weak spot. I'll bet that if you took a healthy rod and tied your leader to a fixed object and tried to break the rod on purpose, you would have a tough time doing it.

The folks at St. Croix are wonderful! I had a Pro Graphite model that I couldn't break apart. I called them and told them it was stuck together and they instructed me to break it on purpose and send it back which I did and they sent me new section piece to replace the one I had to break as per their instructions.

i have a st. croix rod, a 7 1/2 ft 6wt, and when it gets older, i plan on sending it back to get a new one. Their great rods though, mine casts like a dream, even with cheap line it shoots pretty well.
    --------------------------------------------
    happy fishing!

Adam15, why??? Fly rods don't wear out. Isn't that abusing the purpose of the warranty?

Adam15 -
    I agree with Dave. If your rod "casts like a dream" why would you want to replace it? I've found St Croix really great to work with if there is a problem but I suspect that could change with a few more posts like that one. Keep in mind that the mfgrs read some of these boards.

Donald

Surely Adam was pulling out leg a bit!!

+ Reply to Thread