+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Opener

Default Minnesota Opener

Well, the official walleye opener, at least. Trout was back in April, bass aren't for two weeks. This one was a bust. Cold, windy and miserable, just perfect for duck hunting and walleye fishing. Helped a friend finish off a fly rod so it wasn't a complete waste. Just 120 days till ice up! JGW

Just 120 days till ice up!
    You have my sympathy but there's only about 16 more days left here until blowicane season opens .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

This one was a bust. Cold, windy and miserable, just perfect for duck hunting and walleye fishing.
    So that's why nobody was bothering me on the streams! The fish didn't seem to mind but the water was a little high.

Did you hit Hay Creek or the Kinni? Great story on the Little Vermillion in the Strib. Used to fish walleye, northern and smallies from the Vermillion Road access quite a bit. Just lived a mile or so closer to Hastings down the road a little. Loved the train trestle stretch through there, and putting the canoe in at Etter Bridge and fishing around there and south to the first backwater. Some nice bluegill in that one, but a little tough canoeing back by myself. Besides, 4-wheelers like making noise in those parts. It was living there that convinced me to start building canoes. Miss it, but like fishing the upper Minnesota better. Water is cleaner, and there is more granite outcroppings and substrate. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 16 May 2005).]

I was fishing a smaller trib to the Rush that doesn't get effected by rains quite as bad. I too have fished those areas of the Vermillion quite a bit. Last year was my first at smallies on the fly. After bass opener trout will be taking a back seat. I fished the Cannon and a couple times on the St. Croix but this year I need to move up stream on the Mississippi and Croix. I have never fished the Minnesota.

[This message has been edited by Fly_Line (edited 17 May 2005).]

Fly_Line,
    I'm curious if it wasn't you that I ran into on that "trib" to the Rush. I ran around and almost got, um...'lost' on the roadways but saw a couple guys around the bridges.

Ya wouldn't happen to have a gray beard/goatee would you? *grins*...

Jeremy.

Nope, wasn't me. I don't have that much snow on the mountain yet I was driving a pewter GMC.
    When I was having a snack an older guy pulled up in his car and plucked 4 10" browns from under the second(?) bridge and headed out. Must have needed supper for him and the wife.

I was just talking to a co-worker/fishing buddy about my little outing and in particular the old man catching and keeping fish. Now I don't normally keep fish so I don't pay much attention size limits. I don't think the fish that older guy was keeping were legal! There is a 12" min on those streams. No wonder he never really looked my way.

[This message has been edited by Fly_Line (edited 19 May 2005).]

What? someone in MN breaking a game and fish law? All joshing aside, what a year we've had for poaching. Don't any of these people get it?

May be spending time in Rocheseter later in summer. Any good fishing near the city or in the city?

+ Reply to Thread