+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to watch fishing on TV...

Blog Entries

Default I want to watch fishing on TV...

...I really, really do. But it seems to me that at least 90% or more of the programming is people ranting and screaming and holding fish up to the sky while the crowd cheers.

Over on the Texas Hunting Forum in the photos section the header reads "please show respect to the animals you harvest when taking a photo". That rings true with me. I feel like the BASS guys and the Redfish Tour guys do not show respect for the fish that they harvest. Perhaps they do have great respect for the fish, I don't know enough to say otherwise. But I can say for sure that I don't believe they demonstrate respect.

I remember the first time I caught myself thanking a little one pound bass for letting me catch him before dropping him back in the water. At that point I decided how I wanted to pursue the activity of angling. I love to eat fish and do so at the given opportunity so please don't mistake me for a member of the "Church of C&R" who believe that everybody else is going to hell.

But heck, yelling and carrying on like those boys do; it?s a whole nother universe. They are not anywhere near the same galactic sector of wheret myself and, forgive my boldness in this assumption, most all fly anglers are.

I sure don't want to get into making those tournament guys wrong, that is not my intent. Rather, it gives me pause to consider what I want out of fishing. Something far afield from what they do obviously. As long as the resource is safe and growing, as long as we can all go fishing safely, I'll satisfy myself with the written word and the few shows that present a slice of what I prefer. And I need to go fishing more often as well.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:36ece]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:36ece]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Hey Rhyne,

If it were just the fishing portion,
    it would probably be a lot different. Bring
    in the cameras, a cult like following of
    fans, and add prizes and cash awards that
    would be life changing for some of us, and
    all bets are off. It's a whole nother
    world that has little relationship to a
    normal day on the water. Warm regards, Jim

Robin,
    I agree....the screaming & yelling when fishing??...that one guy, (Iaconelli?), jumps up, raising the bass, pumping his fist & yelling at the top of his lungs would shoo ME off the lake for sure! Just not MY cup o' tea!
    btw...did the package arrive yet?..If you don't get it Monday, let me know, cuz that went "priority" on Wednesday.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

pooh-bah, that nails it, "a contemplative mans recreation" is indeed the definition.

Mike, it came Friday. I was thrilled to get the flippers, the rest were thrilled with the fudge Gracias sir. I have a secret pond in mind, right down the road. Filled with lily pads and elodea (don't even think about streamers) and I am headed that way. That brings to mind a thread that I will now initiate. See y'all there.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:4926c]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:4926c]

There are two great fly fishing tv shows still on "Outdoor Life Network" I have taped most of them--the newest Fly Fish America and repeats on Fly Fish TV.

------------------

Bill

You might look for the New Fly Fisher on PBS. Co-Sponsored by the FFF it is not your 'usual' fly fishing show. The ones we have seen are excellent!

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Blog Entries

I need to see that one LF.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:d1596]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:d1596]

Me too, but I can't convince our local PBS station to pick it up. Now that OLN has dropped Fly Fish TV and Trout Unlimited TV I'm really bummed. Sent email to OLN but got no response at all, won't be watching them much any more. The PBS station responded promptly and said they would look into both FFTV and TUTV (rumor has it they were trying to work a deal with the Public Broadcasting network also) but I haven't heard back.

I never watch the tournament shows, I don't know what people see in them. I didn't even care for the FF competition shows but they were much better than the others.

I get my competitive thrills form other sports, fishing for me is relaxation and as JC said, contemplation.

To each his own.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

Rick! Call your PBS station back and tell them the New Fly Fisher is already totally paid for by PBS and is FREE to them.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I've never really thought that this was much of an issue, but I guess it could be to some folks. First of all, these guys are just putting on a show and Iif they didn't you wouldn;t be watching fishing on ESPN. Secondly, I believe you'd be pretty darn happy if you caught a fish that could win you a tournament, along with thousands of dollars.

+ Reply to Thread