+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang it, now I gotta tie bass flies

Default Dang it, now I gotta tie bass flies

After years of pursuing the wiley trout, salmon and steelhead I took the plunge (not literally) and went warm water fishing. I was thinking Crappie or Gills, those tasty...er, uh, fine fighting fish of the lakes around here.

Using one of Jim Hatch's Dremel bugs witih a GRHE dropper, I worked the edge of the lilly pads from my newly purchased pontoon boat and got nothing, not a bump, bite or nibble.

After casting several more times I decided to take a break and have a smoke sitting in my boat. Enjoying the warm weather, the birds flying about, sipping on an ice cold Starbucks Frappucinno (hey, I live in Washington) I glanced between my feet into the crystal clear water and there was old bucketmouth staring up at me. Not just one was cruising in my shadow, but there were several of those critters using me as cover.

I also noticed that in the evening they were cruising the shallows, leaving little ripples in the water with their backs.

I musta been holding my mouth wrong or something, but I didn't catch anything under 20 inches, or anything larger either.

Next time, fellas, next time.

REE

First time I took my pontoon catamaran out was on Wolf Lake (a small lake). I got to fiddling with the fish/depth finder (not paying attention) and when I looked up I was in the cattails by the shoreline. Did the same thing again and when I looked up I was in the middle of the lake. That wind current is really something. If I had been paying attention, my fins would have kept me in place. Now I also have an anchor so even if I'm not using the fins, I don't have to worry about getting dragged all over the lake.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Danged Ron,

Obviously the dremel bug was defective.
    Fortionatly, all of my dremel bugs have a
    free life time guarantee against any defect.
    Just return the fly with $25 for shipping
    and handling and I'll replace it free of
    charge.*G* Warm regards, Jim

I've always found that LM bass like large baits. Perhaps they were eyeing you to see if you were worth taking. Good thing you sat still Actually, bass can be very selective, especially early in the season. Usually a large black leech pattern does the trick for me in the spring.

Jim Smith

I've seen similar behavior with smallmouths on my Canadian trips. We usually will anchor off of cover, like a beaver lodge and cast into the cover and retrieve back toward the boat. If there are bass in the area the action can be hot and heavy, but after 15-20 minutes it will die down. The water's pretty clear and you can see bottom in 7-8 feet of water. If you drop a fly or a jig straight down, you'll usually see several smallmouth come out from under the boat to investigate and a couple can be usuall aggravated into hitting the fly or jig.

JH,

I think I'll continue to use these "defective" Dremel Bugs you made, just be sure they are defective. Is that shipping and handling fee per fly or for the bunch? EG

I tied up some black leeches plus a few other rubber legged things that no self respecting Bass should be able to resist.

Also gonna try a dry and dropper combo on them.

Looks like I'm gonna have to start hanging out in the warm water section more often.

Back to the Lake this afternoon.

REE

REE -- We gotcha! Have that cool lady of yours nearby with a defibulator when that first hog engulfs your dremmel bug. JGW

I was out a couple weekends ago, fishing a popper and size 16 pheasant tail dropper. I ended up catching 4 12-14" LM on the PT of all things. I think the popper got there attention, and they went for the pt. Pretty cool!

Hey Ron,

Just pulling your toe buddy. Your money
    aint no good in South Carolina. If ya need
    any more dremel bugs, just holler. I've
    seen those hawgs get a serious case of
    lockjaw from time to time. Particularly
    with a high pressure system. Some days they
    seem to just taunt us but sooner or later
    they get their comeupance. Those are the
    days we live for.*G* Warm regards, Jim

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

James,

I couldn't agree with you more about LMB liking big baits. Even the small guys seem to like their baits big. I am constantly amazed by the 6-8 inch bass that tackle my 6 inch Crease Flies. On some days, it seems like you just can't build a bait that's too big for old bucketmouth when he or she is in a feeding mood.

NoahsBoyz, relax and enjoy the challenge. It's a good excuse to buy a whole bunch of new tying materials. I enjoy tying bass flies because I really do save money on them. Many of the flies sell for $4-6 a pop. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

+ Reply to Thread