+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plastics on the fly rod

Default Plastics on the fly rod

Just wondering how many people fish plastics on their fly rod -- where they are legal, of course? And what they think of it?

Because I'm going after smallmouth that way later this year. No purist I.

[This message has been edited by BigFlatBrook (edited 15 April 2005).]

This topic has come up a lot on the Warmwater board. You might want to do a search over there.

BigFlatBrook come on over to the warmwater board. The water is fine! Heck you could almost wet wade in there.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I don't use plastic for trout but I see nothing wrong with that practice if it legal to do so in a particular area. Calling the gummy minnow a fly and a plastic tube a lure seems like a very fine distinction to me.

On the other hand, I do use flyrod plastic for bass and brim on a regular basis particularly if the water is cold or very warm and the fish are deep. Bass size tubes, craws, and worms are not easy to cast even on a #9 weight; they lend new meaning to the term "chuck and duck." But once you get them in the water, nothing fishes them better than a fly rod. Floating line turns them into real slow sinking targets for big bass. Just my thoughts, 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Though I resisted for years, I have been experimenting this year. First, here's a link though to the "Sqwirm Worm" that some of the best fly fishermen in Louisiana tout:
    [url=http://laflyfish.com/flies/sqwirm-worm.php:0eb2c]http://laflyfish.com/flies/sqwirm-worm.php[/url:0eb2c]

I plan to try that, but haven't yet. Now, what I've done (no pictures, sorry) is buy spinnerbait trailers from BassPro. They are very small, 4" or so, and about a third of the way down they split to two tails. I cut the solid body off and have the two tail pieces left. Then I use a size 10 nymph hook with a beadhead, thread the hook up really good, then slide the trailer segment on up to the bend. I saturate the thread with adhesive and slide the plastic over it to bond it.

Have tried it a couple times on a small pond, and the gills and bass seem to like it. Very easy to cast with a 5-wt. But I haven't put it into serious trials yet because of the SCREWY WEATHER AROUND HERE!

Someone sent me some chenille worms most kindly, and hope to give those a run in the lake soon as I can too.

Best,
    R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:0eb2c]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:0eb2c]

[This message has been edited by RStouff (edited 15 April 2005).]

Roger,

Interesting. Now that Vickie has her first steelhead under her belt, she has expressed an interest in bass and crappie fishing. There are several lakes open year round here. I may tie up a few "squirm Worms" and point her to a laake.

REE

It didn't occur to me to visit the warm-water forum with that question -- apologies to the wwf inhabitants.

The squirm worm looks like a really interesting idea. I'm gonna try that.

WOW!!!...and here I thought I was the only one...I've got a secret "Bassin" (works on alot more than bass worm and I'm rather suprised to learn I am not alone....Guess I need to check out the warm water section myself..lol...you'll no doubt notice that I did'nt however give away my secret worm combonation or the way I employ it.

------------------
    "Wish ya great fishing"
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

You guys should have joined the plastics and spinners swap. There have been several nice patterns sent in already.

Seege

+ Reply to Thread